Freelance browser game UI/UX designer & art director. // Thrillhouse
We’re a small team creating a web browser game, and are seeking an experienced UI/UX designer, with a strong focus in web and ideally also game design. This a freelance position to plan and create the interface for the game, in close collaboration with our small game conception and design team. The timeline for this position within the project is to take place over the next 3-4 months.
- Definition and design of user interface layouts for web for desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Interaction design for the numerous game functions, including production of clickable prototypes.
- A strong focus on user experience and optimisation for usability, with the ability to test and verify assumptions and collect and implement user feedback.
- Lead the interface design process, in close collaboration with game design team who are currently working on defining the concept, story and system for the game.
- Produce a design and art style that matches the theme and feel of the game, complementing both the serious and light-hearted aspects of the narrative.
- Produce illustrations and communicate ideas and concepts in a visual way for intra-team discussion and iteration.
- Collaborate closely with the development team to coordinate the implementation of the user interface into the application front-end.
- Produce interface layouts, assets and animations in both static and dynamic forms.
- Expert in interface design, preferably working in Sketch for static layouts and designs.
- Ability to create a unique design system and art style that will match the game story and can be implemented across different aspects of the interface as well as marketing channels.
- Some ability to participate directly in the front-end development process, writing and consulting on HTML and CSS for interface elements.
- An understanding of game mechanics systems, and the particular challenges they present when it comes to interface creation.
- Experience in designing and optimising payment flows for players to make online transactions.
- Experience with close collaborative work in small teams.
- Ability to take ownership of project area and ensure its successful execution, including the ability to delegate tasks where necessary.
Nice to have
- A passion for games, particularly board games and puzzles, as well as strategy games and “Civ builders”.
- A strong understanding of the web development process with a particular focus and comprehension of what it takes to create complicated interfaces that still perform well on a wide range of devices.
- Exposure and understanding of cryptocurrencies. Bonus points for specific knowledge about Dash: https://www.dash.org
About the project
We’re about 1 month into a 4-6 month project to create a browser-based game. Currently the team is made up primarily of 1 product owner/web developer, as well as 3 game designers, all recent graduates from the Game Design degree offered by the HTW in Berlin. In addition, we have a couple of developers currently only working on a part-time basis, but their role will begin to expand as we move into production. So far we have a very well described game concept and are now in the process of building out the story, defining and naming the game elements, and beginning work on the process of balancing in-game resources for optimum gameplay.