Backend Engineer // Tandem
As a Backend Engineer, your role will be to…
- develop new features and maintain existing functionality from day one
- create and scale a technologically ambitious, optimized, high performance server-side codebase, API and and administration user interface
- work as part of an experienced team of designers, client and fullstack engineers
- help to shape and continuously improve our engineering practices and processes
- be a sparring partner for architecture and technology decisions for our lead engineers on the client and backend side
You’ll be a good fit for this role, if you have…
- at least two years of professional experience in in a backend or fullstack engineering role
- an excellent command of PHP framework architectures (Zend or alternative framework with standardized ORM/ActiveRecord implementation)
- RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, or other), database (de)normalization, SQL/NoSQL (Redis/Memcached)
- coding standards (PSR) and code naming conventions
- a passion for agile software development best practices, agile principles, CI/CD and TDD to build scalable, well-tested, and maintainable software
- worked with git vcs
- knowledge of KISS and what SOLID is
- believe in yourself as a professional engineer
It would be a big plus, if you have professional experience with:
- inter process communication (RPC, WebServices, Soap, Protocol Buffers, etc.),
- realtime communications (sockets, websockets/nodejs, xhr, comet or other server push alternatives)
- Beanstalkd or other queues (SNS, Gearman, Memcacheq…)
- message brokers (RabbitMQ, ApacheMQ) or alternative wire messaging protocols experience (AMQP, MQTT, STOMP)
- deployment & build automation
- AWS infrastructure
- machine learning-as-a-service platforms such as Amazon Machine Learning
- experience working with Firebase, GCM, APNS services
- asynchronous PHP frameworks (react, icicle.io, amphp, swoole…)
- Phalcon or HHVM in production loads
- penetration testing and load testing
- and if you are enthusiastic about golang, swift, elixir and typescript
… a significant role in a small, friendly, very international and highly experienced team.
… a steep learning curve with responsibility from day one.
… a competitive salary.
… free choice of your IT setup.
… the opportunity to contribute to a product that impacts the lives of millions of people
…. work from an inspiring loft office in one of Berlins Startup Hotspots.
… flexible hours.
… be close to the Berlin meetup & hackathon scene
… a bag of iOS & Android and VR devices to play with in office
… educational books
… free German classes
… team lunches, excursions, drinks, great coffee, office snacks, games, etc.
… you’ll probably learn how to say “Hi” in 20 more languages
Launched in February 2015, Tandem is backed by some of Germany’s most prominent investors. Tandem was named one of the 19 „Top Apps Made in Germany“ by Apple and has reached the App Store Top 5 in Education in 100+ countries. Our founding team each has over 10 years of experience in web, mobile, design, TV and technology, as well as a vision to empower anyone to learn, teach and expand their horizons in the process.
If this sounds like the right challenge for you, we look forward to hearing from you. Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related listings on StepStone:
Career Insights - Journal by Jobspotting
Our next chapter: Jobspotting joins SmartRecruiters
Today, we are embarking on a new chapter of Jobspotting as we join SmartRecruiters. We founded Jobspotting more than three years ago with the vision of making job search hassle-free, of inspiring professionals’ career ... Read more →
5 Clever Answers To Stupid Interview Questions
Many people doubt whether there’s any sense in having job interviews. Is it really possible to determine whether a candidate is the right one for the job or not within a day or two? And on the other side of the coin: ... Read more →