CTO / Head of Tech // Lingoda
Lingoda is the leading online language school in Germany. Our students from all around the world learn German, English, French and Spanish. Our team is international – from 20 countries around the world. Our mission is to empower even the busiest people to master a language and unlock their potential – anytime, anywhere.
The Head of Technology (aka “CTO”) needs to 1) be the technological visionary and architect, 2) be well-versed in current technology trends, 3) have strong business tuition, 4) be able to coach a young and growing engineering team, and 5) be passionate about our mission. This position reports to the CEO, Managing Director.
Guide the technical direction of a 50-person start-up to the world’s leading online language learning platform.
- Transform legacy IT architecture & infrastructure into a system that is more modular and flexible and incorporates long-term product vision that extends beyond the current website, scheduling system, and virtual classroom. Develop complete understanding of the entire technical stock from top to bottom including alternatives and tradeoffs at every level.
- Execute rapidly on business needs and deliver efficient throughput by overseeing product roadmap Head of Product and agile development processes, such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Serve as the bridge between technology and strategy. Communicates well with CEO, MDs, and department heads by accurately estimating how much work is required and explaining trade-offs. Protects team from unnecessary changes and lead them through necessary ones.
- Hire and grow technical teams. Develop clear KPIs and goals. Maximizes technical team productivity by spotting likely technical and company problems and clear them before they impact the engineering team\\\’s traction.
- Stay on top of latest technologies / trends and brings new ideas to execute in company
- Previous experience as CTO / Head of IT / Head of Engineering
- Designing architecture and technical strategies for start-ups
- Excellent network to recruit top engineering and product talent
- Business intuition and understanding of business concepts
- Leading development teams
- B2c Product experience
- Ed Tech experience – preferred
- Proactivity. Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Persistence. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Follow-through on commitments. Lives up to verbal and written agreements.
- Ability to develop people. Coaches people in their current roles to improve performance, and prepares them for future roles.
- Strategic thinking/visioning. Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Creativity/innovation. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Work ethic. Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done. Has a track record of working hard.
Please send cover letter, CV, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.