Director of Engineering // Babbel
With Babbel anyone can learn a language.
Whether on the go, in the subway or at home on the sofa, Babbel supports those who take joy in learning outside of work or school. Since its founding in 2007, the company has grown to become the market leader in app based language learning. In total, Babbel offers 14 learning languages, from English to Indonesian. Professional courses are steadily available via the Babbel website as well as on your smartphone or tablet. At Babbel more than 400 team members from 36 different countries work hard to set standards for creating a new learning experience.
With millions of regular users across web and mobile, more than 30 million app downloads our iOS and Android apps are consistently high-ranked and high-rated by customers in both app stores.
To further continue our growth journey, we are looking for a passionate engineering leader who is looking forward to push the boundaries and shape the future of language learning enabled by technology.
In your role as Director of Engineering you will lead our customer facing engineering teams that both improve and innovate on our core learning as experience as well as fuel and drive our continued growth via all marketing channels.
You will report directly to the CTO.
- Lead a group of 6+ engineering managers (in 7+ teams with 35+ heads overall)
- Attract, excite and retain technical talent for Babbel
- Lead, inspire and influence to make sure we are continuously shipping quality
- Play a central role in key architectural and strategic technology decisions
- Help the team grow their technical expertise
- Drive software development best practices as well as agile delivery
- Develop a great engineering leadership team and great engineering culture
- Partner closely with product management and other departments as well as the management team to ensure we deliver value and innovation to our users
- You are experienced with leading, coaching and mentoring engineering managers
- You love attracting, interviewing and growing people
- You are experienced with software development in an agile environment and agile engineering practices
- You know how to best balance between feature delivery and tech debt amortisation
- You have a strong opinion on what a good API looks like, how to work with legacy code, deal with technical debt and when to rewrite vs. refactoring incrementally
- You excel in formulating and coaching technical strategies and roadmaps
- You are hands-on and ready to dive into deep tech if needed
- You are positive, can-do, pragmatic and outcome oriented with a strong delivery mindset
- You are passionate about building a great engineering community and make it known to the outside.
- You are a learner at heart, fostering learning where you go and share your views and learnings internally as well as externally
- You speak and write english fluently
- You have a good long-term vision and technology awareness
- You are passionate about building great consumer products and services
- Experience working with 3rd party vendors
- Experience working with international, distributed teams
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth
- Potential within a fast growing team
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- Cutting-edge tools & technologies
- Long-term prospects
- A vibrant international team from over 36 different nationalities
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene