Director of Software Engineering // Contentful
Advance and maintain a healthy engineering management team. In close collaboration with CTO, Head of Product and our Director of Platform you will be advancing improvement in our engineering management practices and our development processes.
Contentful is a content management developer platform that enables web and mobile developers to manage, integrate, and deliver digital content to any kind of device or service that can connect to an API – be it smart cars, VR, mobile, web, digital signage, or any new platform. We solve the complexities of content management for tens of thousands web and mobile developers, some independent and many working at enterprise customers that include Jack-in-the-box, Petsmart, Specialized, and Urban Outfitters.
We’re a fun team of over 100 people from 37 nations with offices in Berlin and San Francisco, backed by top VCs (Benchmark, Trinity, Balderton, Point Nine), growing at an amazing pace, and looking for more amazing individuals to join our team!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Contentful is on the journey of becoming the standard on how content is integrated and meshed into applications and modern microservice infrastructure.
Our agile teams, organised in a structure modeled after the “Scaling Agile @ Spotify” model, work at any given time on several projects that pursue our Product Strategy.
These projects comprehend a wide set of technological areas backend, frontend, client libraries and infrastructure that must all be consistent in their conception but also be allowed for independence in terms of execution.
As a Director of Software Engineering at Contentful, you are responsible for advancing and maintaining a healthy engineering management team, ensuring that we’re building a great engineering team that provides solutions and reliably executes on a streamlined and transparent delivery process.
In close collaboration with CTO, Head of Product and our Director of Platform you will be advancing improvement in our engineering management practices and our development processes. You’ll guide strategic technology choices and ensure consistent delivery of value to our customers.
- Nurture, coordinate and evolve our outstanding engineering management team
- Source and recruit engineering managers
- Grow a culture of value delivery through software projects
- Maintain and iterate on the Engineering and Product partnership
- Raise capabilities in the engineering management and the engineering team
- Maintain relationships and transparency with key stakeholders (CEO office, Sales, Customer Success, Support)
- Participate in discussions of Product and Company strategy and align the Engineering Team
- Proven experience managing managers of technical teams, setting goals and crafting plans to achieve them
- Provide managerial and technical strategy guidance to the team, both individually and as a group
- Experience in troubleshooting the software delivery process, particularly the collaboration with product and continuously streamlining it
- You’re used to working with engineering teams to identify and anticipate changing requirements and opportunities to improve the development environment
- In-depth, proven engineering background that allows you to establish credibility with brilliant engineers quickly.
- You are used to collaborating with other functions of the company like Product, Support and Marketing
- You have experience recruiting and hiring engineering talent and will facilitate the onboarding of new team members.
- Very familiar with principles of APIs, JS one page apps and developer platforms (Github, Heroku) and latest platform trends like containers and serverless architectures
- You are a strong communicator and you’re great in teasing out complex, conflictual situations to bring clarity when confusion and ambiguity creep in
- Excellent English communication skills, verbal and written (German not required)
- Work closely with the CTO and Head of Product
- Lead an enthusiast engineering team that works for building a product that other engineering teams love
- Join a rapidly growing developer-centric company with lots of amazing international customers. We count people like Adam Wiggins (Heroku) and Francesco Cesarini (Erlang Solutions) as our advisors
- Be part of a team of experts in a company where technology matters and is key
- We offer an education budget and extra days off to be spent on your self-development
- Pick any tools you feel comfortable with; from hardware to software, your work environment to your chair, we’ve literally got your back
- Enjoy flexibility in time and place of your work
- Brush up your language skills! Our team speaks more than 20 languages
- We fully support your move to Berlin with a relocation budget. We’ll help you settle into your exciting new city
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or disability. We look forward to your application!
Related listings on StepStone:
Career Insights - Journal by Jobspotting
Our next chapter: Jobspotting joins SmartRecruiters
Today, we are embarking on a new chapter of Jobspotting as we join SmartRecruiters. We founded Jobspotting more than three years ago with the vision of making job search hassle-free, of inspiring professionals’ career ... Read more →
5 Clever Answers To Stupid Interview Questions
Many people doubt whether there’s any sense in having job interviews. Is it really possible to determine whether a candidate is the right one for the job or not within a day or two? And on the other side of the coin: ... Read more →