Java Software Engineer // Klarna
We’re excited to be spinning up new teams within our brand new Berlin office within a number of key critical domains. Utilising the latest Java 9 technologies, Engineers within these key areas build scalable solutions for merchants and consumers to integrate and interact with Klarna.
Klarna’s mission is to take the friction out of how people buy online and we enable our users to purchase online using two bits of top of mind information – your email and postcode. When a user buys with Klarna we determine in real-time if the buyer really is who they appear to be, and if we are prepared to underwrite credit for this transaction and take on the risk. In summary our secret sauce is the ability to issue credit in real-time using behavioural data.
With 60M customers, 89k merchants and an annual purchase volume growth in excess of 50% this is a fintech business that deals with growth, scale and all the challenges that come with our ambition to grow the company by 5x in the next three years.
A few of the things that set us apart:
At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback and time to market. We work in small autonomous product teams with short release cycles. Microservices, Cloud technologies and Continuous Deployment are at the heart of everything we do. We focus on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Some of the technologies you would be working with inc: Java 8 and 9, Spring Boot, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kafka, ELK and AWS.
You will get to:
- Work with the entire lifecycle of a service, from writing application code and tests to deploying, monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Work on services with millions of users.
- Work as a team; we respect and support each other, and practise agile methodologies including TDD, pair and mob programming.
- Deploying code multiple times a day using automated pipelines.
- Learn and succeed in fields you haven’t worked in before.
- Get to have end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring and experimentation.
What we look for in you?
We’re looking for engineers that share our passion for building great products using solid engineering practises. We are looking for positive and passionate people who will put teamwork and collaboration above all else. You will need to be comfortable in a rapidly changing environment and able to navigate ambiguity and a high rate of change.
The ideal person:
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, e.g.: Java, Scala
- Experience with API and product development
- Passion for writing clean code and tests
- Have successfully applied and are enthusiastic about Agile/XP practices (Pairing, TDD, BDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery)
- Willingness to learn new technologies and move between different tech stacks
Nice to haves:
- DevOps and Continuous Delivery Experience
- Familiarity with cloud based and DevOps technologies and tools (AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Experience as a contributor to an open source project. Contributor to GitHub and/or Stack Overflow.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary;
- 30 days of annual leave every year;
- Generous occupational pension and insurance plans;
- Flexible work schedule;
- International working environment in central Berlin;
- Learning and development focused environment with an emphasis on knowledge sharing, training and regular internal technical talks;
- Amazing relocation package.
Klarna is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.