Senior Backend Developer // Tandem
You can’t learn a language without speaking it! Tandem is the leading global language learning community that empowers everyone, everywhere to master any language.
Tandem was named one of Google Play’s “Best Apps of 2017” and recognized as the only German app on the international list of Apple’s “Best Apps of 2015”. The app has been downloaded more than 5 million times and has members in over 200 countries.
We are a highly international and very experienced team, based in Berlin and backed by top European investors. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will play a crucial role in building and scaling a rapidly growing consumer product.
Your role will be to…
- develop new features for our members, in close collaboration with highly experienced client engineers, designers and product managers
- maintain, scale and support Tandem’s backend infrastructure, including our own mobile APIs and multiple 3rd party APIs and integrations
- build cloud infrastructure and keep it up to date with latest best practices
- help to improve our engineering practices and existing functionality
- implement your own solutions the way you want, if you can prove their merit
You are the right fit for the role, if your experience includes:
- at least 3 years of full-stack or backend engineering experience in a cutting-edge or high-load professional environment
- at least 3 years of building apps with PHP (we use PHP 7.2)
- MySQL/SQL, NoSQL/Redis
- Some experience building realtime/near-realtime communications (queues, brokers, messaging patterns)
- using CI/CD, Docker in production
- familiar with modern (or not so modern) MVC PHP frameworks, or have built one yourself
It would be a big plus, if you:
- are familiar with RPC, JSON-SCHEMA, REST, SOAP, AMQP, MQTT
- can administer/provision cloud infrastructure on AWS
- have used RabbitMQ/Beanstalkd/NSQ/NATS/ApacheMQ or other brokers
- are interested in machine learning, big data, high load
- The chance to join a friendly, highly experienced and exceptionally talented team early on
- Competitive remuneration
- An inspiring office at Rosenthaler Platz, in one of Berlin’s Startup hotspots
- German lessons in office and free access to our language tutors on Tandem
- Free choice of your IT setup
- Relocation assistance
- Team lunches, excursions, drinks, great coffee, office snacks, board games etc.
- You’ll probably learn how to say “Hi” in 20 more languages
If this sounds like the right next step, we’d love to hear from you! Please send an email with your CV / resumé and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.