Senior Django Developer // 8fit
8fit helps millions of people around the world live a healthier life. We help guide users along their path to fitness with personalized meal plans and workouts. Every day we’re rewarded by the lives that we improve, and it keeps us motivated to work toward our vision of making the world a healthier and happier place.
In this role you’ll work in a small cross-functional growth team to design and build a content management system. You’ll strive to understand the needs of editors and content creators.
You’ll understand tracking systems, and work with a growth PM to study the funnel and make improvements. Understand the work of the marketing team, work to support them by building tooling.
You’ll work with SEO consultants to structure the pages, and ensure a good ranking.
Engineering at 8fit
We’re organized into cross-functional delivery teams with clear goals and lots of autonomy. We’re constantly looking to improve our tooling and working process.
We believe working culture is not a list of platitudes. It\’s defined by the behaviours of the team.
That being said, here are a few of the ideas we feel strongly about:
Great communication — The ability to exchange ideas efficiently is an important part of your skillset.
Take ownership — Operate with autonomy, mastery, and purpose. Do your own research, talk with others on the team and don’t let anything stand between you and the results you want.
Venture outside your comfort zone — Ask questions. Be critical. Suggest ways of improving internal process. Be humble, admit mistakes readily, and never stop learning.
Bias towards action — Assume your first iteration will need improvement. The sooner you launch the sooner you can improve. Instead of speculating come back next week with real data.
Impact you will have
- The output of your team will become the first touch point for a lot of new 8fitters worldwide.
- You’ll help to rethink and experiment on 8fit’s web experience.
- You’ll strongly influence the direction of the technological roadmap for 8fit’s new web platform.
What you will do
- Strategically migrate away from our current platform to a new platform based on Django Wagtail.
- Extend and maintain the new platform by adding APIs and flexible landing pages to allow a superb experience our visitors.
- Support the product manager in coordinating with Marketing, Payment and Onboarding and Content to understand their needs and build solutions that enable them to move faster.
- Create and manage the infrastructure for the platform (Hosting, Monitoring, Logging) to allow for a scalable and highly reliable web application.
- Mentor and train your colleagues and be an key part of building a fast moving and flexible web team.
Projects you might work on
- Run A/B tests to learn about user behavior to provide the best onboarding experience for new 8fitters.
- Build the next iterations for our paid content marketing pages with a deep integration between our mobile install attribution provider and ad networks.
- Reuse internal APIs to surface 8fit content to allow for a rich interactive frontend experience.
- Build landing pages to drive our efforts in SEO and enable our CRM team to deliver an exceptional experience for newly signed up 8fitters.
- Find solutions for our content editors to reduce the time to live for transformation stories and other articles.
- You’re very comfortable in writing well tested Python code in the context of the Django web framework.
- You understand the current state of web development and can tame the JS beast on the frontend if you need to.
- You’re experienced with and have a solid understanding of relational databases and search engines. (preferably PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch)
- You have strong opinions about security
- You understand that healthy processes are essential in software development.
- You describe yourself as a productive collaborative team member that rallies support with people on and off your team.
- You’re interested in the business behind your project. This allows you to ask tough questions and challenge the status quo.
What it’s like to work at 8fit
We endorse healthy life choices to millions of people and we stick to them ourselves, so “work/life balance” is core to how we do things. But don’t just take our word for it – you’re welcome to drop by and meet the team! We’ve got a lovely office in Friedrichshain, right on the river Spree. It’s quiet, bright, well-stocked with healthy snacks, and every Friday, we get together for a healthy lunch.
Other perks of being an 8fitter:
- Flexible office hours, to ensure you have plenty of time to enjoy life (and fit in a workout)
- Stock options, so you can share in 8fit’s success
- A health & wellness benefit, naturally
- Yearly company offsite to escape harsh Berlin winters
- Remote work policy that allows for extra flexibility, year-round
- Professional development grants to help you learn and grow
- Relocation benefits and visa assistance for non-EU citizens
Read more here: http://8fit.com/about/
Include in your application:
What have you done before? What are you interested in? What motivates you? Don’t send a generic cover letter. We’d rather hear your short intro in the summary section.
Please include a link to online profiles like github/twitter, etc.