Senior Java/Scala Developer (m/f) // Springer Nature
The way we do business
We build our software incrementally, iteratively, and continuously, so you’ll be able to see new work go live to over four million visitors around the globe every week. Our flavour of agile has been heavily influenced by XP and Kanban, and if something isn’t working, we change it.
Our work delivers value to both the business and our customers, our teams are cross-discipline: business analysts and the user experience team work with stakeholders to coordinate research and understand requirements, whilst our frontend developers and software engineers pair with quality analysts to develop the most robust solutions, and our platform engineers work across the organisation to ensure our infrastructure never lets us down.
We generally follow a mix of agile and lean practices with an overall philosophy towards continuous delivery. We’ll rely on each and everyone´s expertise to adapt and improve these processes to serve the team, project and company as best fits their current contexts.
Although we don’t face the same level of stress you’d find in most projects around scope, schedule and cost, keeping the project on track is still important to us and wherever possible we’ll keep projects small, fast and healthy.
In this role you would:
- Create complex, enterprise-class web applications
- Use the latest tools and technologies
- Influence every step of the delivery process, for what you build
- Make a hands-on contribution to project and help teams prioritise and find innovative ways to meet objectives
- Collaborate and work closely with analysts, designers, testers, operations, and product owners
- Fluent English
- Experience in writing maintainable code in at least one: Scala or Java
- Embrace Agile, XP, TDD/BDD and Continuous Delivery
- Worked in *nix environments (Linux, Mac, Bash)
- Design and implement scalable applications exposed via RESTful APIs
- Proficiency in more than one language with the confidence to pick the right tool for the job
- Life-long learner who is passionate for your work, and you love to share your ideas with your team
- Able to constructively challenge and influence decisions
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Varied and interesting tasks
- An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
- A good work life balance with fair working hours + a generous and flexible vacation package
- Discounted public transport
- Discounted book prices
- An excellent on-site cafeteria
Excited by the prospect of joining us? We are looking forward to your online application.
Related listings on StepStone:
Career Insights - Journal by Jobspotting
- 5 Clever Answers To Stupid Interview Questions
Many people doubt whether there’s any sense in having job interviews. Is it really possible to determine whether a candidate is the right one for the job or not within a day or two? And on the other side of the coin: ... Read more →
- Nicolas Dolenc gives us a sneak preview of Slush 2016
If you partied with us at TOA, you’ll know that Jobspotting and Slush have a special connection. With this year’s Slush conference just around the corner, we spoke to its President and Executive Producer about ... Read more →