Principal Engineer, Machine Learning // xbird
xbird is a medical AI company developing ways to use smartphones and wearable devices to predict and prevent health risks. We are a 10-person, interdisciplinary team on the mission of saving 1 million lives by 2020. Our current solution focuses on detecting and preventing hypoglycemia for diabetes patients.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer, Machine Learning that will lead our efforts to build the intelligence behind our systems. You will apply the latest machine learning algorithms to improve the lives of people and to help doctors in their diagnosis. In this role, you will have high responsibility and a strong impact on the company’s success.
You will be part of our engineering team consisting of machine learning engineers, backend and iOS developers.
You will play a leading role in every part of our machine learning lifecycle: from the initial research to the production-level implementation, from discussing long-term goals, to making post-release micro-improvements. Being an expert in machine learning technologies, you also coach and guide other machine learning engineers at xbird.
You are able to navigate yourself quickly through the sea of machine learning literature, keeping our concrete goals as a compass. You will decide the best model for every problem, and will be keen to implement that in practice (Python). You are able to explain your choices at any level of detail, from discussing the activation function of your neural network convolutional layer to the most accessible explanation of your goals and results.
You take full ownership of core projects of our company and we can rely on you to drive them forward proactively.
We look forward to welcome you as part of the xbird team!
- You are deeply familiar with state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms and models.
- You can build a model of reality, validate it, and quantify your errors. You know how to fine-tune your hyperparameters, optimize the results, and eventually optimize the performance.
- You have multi-year experience in taking projects from idea to experiment, to prototype, to implementation, with little supervision.
- You have at least 3 years of experience developing in Python. You are very familiar with Python libraries and tools for data analysis and machine learning.
- You have experience in deploying solutions to cloud and virtualization environments.
- You have significant experience in coaching and guiding other machine learning engineers
- Experience working with mobile sensors is a plus.
- Experience with human activity recognition or with digital health problems is a big plus.
- You enjoy what you do and want to work with people who share your passion.
Why work with us
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly motivated, interdisciplinary team with backgrounds in machine learning, software development, medicine and business. You will benefit from a communicative, stimulating, and friendly environment. We offer a competitive salary and equity options to all full-time employees. We do work that matters, join our journey!