Senior Platform & DevOps Engineer // Fatmap
Build the leading outdoor adventure platform
FATMAP is an Outdoor Adventure Platform that brings together consumers with businesses, destinations and brands. Our advanced 3D mapping technology, outdoor community and curated adventure guidebook is used by top professionals and outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy better, safer adventure.
As a DevOps engineer at FATMAP your job will be to build, scale and support the infrastructure and services that underpin both our customer facing applications as well as our internal tools. You’ll be working closely with our engineering and product leads, as well as our GIS, Applications and Rendering guilds.
For this role you’ll be based mostly in Berlin, but you will travel occasionally to mountain locations such as Chamonix Mont Blanc to field-test the products and engage with the outdoor community.
- You’re an engineer that can see the bigger picture, you understand why performance and quality is important to our end users and why automated tests and documentation are important to our wider engineering team.
- You care deeply about the quality of the work you produce.
- You can distill complex requirements into a non-complex solution.
- You have excellent communication skills and can explain complicated problems in an easy to understand way.
- You are dynamic and can effortlessly transition between the various facets of the company as required.
- You are a self-starter and comfortable taking the lead on certain aspects of your role.
- You are comfortable guiding and mentoring other members of the engineering team.
- As a fast growing company, scaling our systems as we grow will be a core part of your job.
- Building out our metrics, logging and tracing infrastructure to give us full insight into our stack.
- Looking after our AWS & Heroku accounts & infrastructure.
- Managing our external services (CDNs, Databases etc)
- Ensuring security standards throughout our infrastructure.
- Improving the performance and reliability of our tile and data stacks.
- Maintaining and improving our user databases.
- Iterating on our PostGIS adventure databases.
- Building on our current engineering processes such as code reviews, pull requests etc.
- Helping us continue to build our engineering culture.
- Solid Kubernetes experience in a professional environment
- You have experience scaling Kubernetes (including auto-scaling)
- You have deployed a Kubernetes deployment on AWS
- You’ve implemented metrics, logging and tracing
- You know how to get under the hood to diagnose issues when things go wrong
Good knowledge of AWS (or GCE)
- EC2 & VPCs
- RDS (Postgres/Aurora)
- Route 53
Worked with some of the following technologies
- Bash script
Knowledge of fundamentals of GIS
- You can use PostGIS to run basic queries
We’re offering these benefits:
- A great office environment in Berlin, Kreuzberg
- Flexible working hours.
- Regular team/company trips to outdoor adventure destinations.
- The technical tools (laptop, screens etc.) of your choice
- Unlimited reference materials (for both tech and adventure).
- The opportunity to grow with a growing company in an exciting space.
How to apply:
If the above sounds like you, and you have an adventurous spirit (both in the technological and outdoors sense), you’ll fit right in.
Please send a brief cover letter describing why you are a great fit for FATMAP and resume.
There will be a first video call with our HR Manager to find out more about each expectations and then a second one with the engineering lead to interact more deeply about our stack and the opportunity at FATMAP.
The next step will be for you to complete a technical assessment in your own time. Following this you’ll meet some of the team face to face. We don’t do whiteboard interviews at FATMAP.