Senior Software Engineer // EIDU
At EIDU, we believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full intellectual potential, however more than 600 million children in the world are not even learning foundational skills like reading and basic math despite the majority of them going to school. Our solution enables them to learn by themselves and provides teachers with high quality teaching support. It works globally, even on the cheapest smartphones and tablets.
To accomplish this, we need to overcome many very difficult, exciting challenges:
- Kids are tough and unforgiving users, and their expertise in operating smartphones is limited at best. For example, default touch detection doesn’t cut it for 3-year-olds.
- What is learning, and how do we measure it from the usage data the kids produce? How do we differentiate lucky guesses from profound understanding?
- Network conditions are unpredictable – our system has to take advantage of connectivity when it’s there, but must be able to work autonomously for weeks.
We are developing the EIDU system in the toughest conditions we could find: with many thousand children in two of the largest urban slums in Africa, located in Nairobi, Kenya and we are on our way to scale to many different places in the world. We collect data from all players, children, teachers, parents and school owners and so have a vast, rich dataset, qualitative and quantitative.
How we work
- A free culture, emphasizing autonomy, flexibility and agility
- Agile methodology, in autonomous teams, with a strong focus on Clean Code
- Current technologies:
- App: C#, Unity3D, Android, Java
- Backend: Python, AWS, Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform
- We are open to venturing into new technologies and languages!
What you should bring
- Proven record of designing and implementing (or leading the implementation of) complex systems
- Passion for writing clean, maintainable, functional and testable code
Experience with the specific tools in our software stack, mobile app or game development is not necessarily required – we are more interested in advanced software engineering skills than specific languages!
What we offer
- An international team of passionate people located in Berlin and Nairobi, who support and challenge each other to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- We focus on results, not time spent in the office, so there’s a high degree of flexibility regarding working hours, vacations, and the place of your work.
If this resonates with you, get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org. We are eager to get to know you!