Software Engineer Backend (f/m) // upday
upday is a personalised news service that is exclusive to Samsung devices. We combine editorial expertise and curation with the very latest personalisation technologies to bring our readers the stories that matter to them. Upday is a subsidiary of Axel Springer SE with our headquarters in Berlin. We are growing fast and looking for creative and committed people to help build the upday vision in our Berlin office. If you’re looking to join a international team full of fantastic talent that has the energy of a start-up but the stability of an established media company – look no further.
About the Role
You are a Software Engineer by heart. You have clean code for breakfast, domain drive to work, then you continuously integrate and release by lunchtime. In the afternoon you get up-to-date with the latest technologies and before leaving, you improve the monitoring, add a circuit-breaker or do whatever is necessary to have a monkey-proof system you are proud of. You go to bed with the DoD under your pillow and dream of load tests with a smile on your face.
Who we are looking for:
- We are looking for talented engineers to help us improve our tech infrastructure. We have multiple teams, each working on specific areas:
- backend engineers building micro-service oriented highly scalable infrastructures and recommendation systems
- data and machine learning engineers, sorting and understanding huge loads of data
- Android/mobile developers creating apps for any kind of device, from phones to fridges to cars, adopting the most up to date mobile technologies etc.
- By joining upday, whatever your first team will be, over the time you will be given the chance to expand your horizons wherever you will be willing to.
About the Backend Engineer Role:
At upday we develop a highy scalable backend to deal with a current load of more 5k hits per second during normal traffic conditions.
Our architecture is (micro) service oriented, so you will have the chance to not only contribute to what already exists, but also to easily create and own your own parts of the system.
Ideally, you would have to develop backend services for our app features and be able to carefully design robust and resilient components, scalable during peak traffic hours. At the same time, you should take the responsibility to properly test and monitor the production system, setting alarms on the critical components and, when ready, serve the periodic on call duty with the rest of the team.
- You strive to create both top-quality code and a great product
- You see problems yourself and take ownership in solving them
- You and your team are responsible for the entire software development lifecycle from planning to coding to maintenance
Qualifications and Skillset:
- An academic degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Years of experience as a developer or whatever qualifies you for the position in question
- Java, Spring-Boot
- Persistence Technologies (SQL, NoSQL)
- Monitoring and maintenance of systems
- Base experience with Amazon Web Services or any other cloud-based infrastructure service
Experience in any of the below would be a plus:
- (Micro-) Service-oriented architectures
- Asynchronous communication paradigms
- Continuous integration (CI)
- DevOps experience: infrastructure management, networking, unix systems, infrastructure as a code, containerization…
- Understand how to scale applications and services
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- You are looking for a full-time, on-site developer position in the heart of Berlin
- You are a team player with experience working in an agile environment
- You are keen to develop your skills, and those of your team
- You have an interesting hobby such as brewing beer or space travel
- On top of this magnificent setup, upday will provide you with a wealth of benefits like:
- Of course, we have Football (Kicker), table tennis and all the other start-up gimmicks
- Free drinks, all drinks (beer, coffee, tea, club-mate, champagne on special occasions etc.)
- Fresh fruit twice a week
- Your choice of a macbook or a Windows/Linux machine
- A smart phone w/ contract
- A very generous self-development budget to get certified or to travel to conferences all over the world
- A competitive salary
- Chance to push your ideas and visions, in particular during the periodic hackathons
- And more importantly: upday is backed directly by Axel Springer