Software Engineer – Backend WELT Apps (m/f) // SPRING
We are SPRING – the digital publisher of Axel Springer.
SPRING is responsible for over 60 products from more than 25 Brands and some of Europe’s biggest news sites including BILD.de and WELT.de. Over 350 people at SPRING are working on an innovative media platform to make quality journalism accessible for everyone. We are providing a great user experience on both sides – for readers and journalists, connecting them with the newest technologies.
We are innovators and it is essential for us to stay open minded and try new things every day. You are creative and passionate about your work? You want to be part of a team with a high social responsibility and where your work can make a difference? Then join us and shape the way how the world consumes media in the future!
We’re looking for pragmatic developers who are comfortable writing new code and tests for our existing microservice infrastructure of our native apps. You understand the importance of automation and you like to take responsibility for what you build all the way from localhost through monitoring and supporting the systems in production. We want to work with people creating positive, constructive conversations using objective statements and data, and who like to share knowledge and learn from their teammates. If this sounds like you, we welcome you to apply!
The following traits are welcome:
- Familiarity with JVM based languages like Kotlin or Java and supporting frameworks like Spring Boot
- Writing well tested and reusable code
- Distributed systems infrastructure and it’s automation as well as monitoring and logging
- Building and running containerized software
As a plus, but not required:
- Experience with AWS services for compute and storage like ECS, Lambda, S3, ElastiCache or Redis
- Operating microservice infrastructure in production
What it’s like to work here
You’ll be a member of a cross-functional team working on new features to increase reach and monetarization of our editorial content on our top-rated native Android and iOS apps (e.g. WELT Edition and WELT News).
We love clean code, native apps with a great user experience and smooth operations!
Here are some facts about our team and our philosophy:
- We mostly program in Kotlin using Spring Boot, but using the best tool that solves the problem is what counts.
- We live continuous deployment and are responsible for running our software on AWS making sure our backend systems are available 24/7. Thus, we prefer using managed services whenever possible.
- We believe in the benefits of a service oriented architecture and full automation of our infrastructure.
- We give our teams as much autonomy and trust as possible to achieve their business goals
- While our official company language is German, the language within our international mobile team is English. We also support with German classes.
What we offer at SPRING
You will be given the opportunity to deploy your current strengths and gain additional ones. In an agile and highly qualified team, you will work on the newest media technologies in a modern office in the heart of Berlin. A variety of seminars and workshops give you the opportunity to develop your specialized skill-set and your knowledge of comprehensive issues. Besides that, various conferences and TechTalks as well as our regular exchange with subsidiaries of Axel Springer (e.g. Awin, idealo, KaufDa and Immonet) provide an opportunity to build a valuable network.
Moreover: You will have flexible working hours, above average number of vacation days and a daily free lunch at our on-site restaurant. Furthermore, a MacBook Pro, which can also be used privately, will be placed at your disposal.
We’re looking forward to your application!
Questions regarding this position (reference number 044400021) will be answered gladly by: Julia Lange; email@example.com
SPRING Axel Springer Digital News Media GmbH & Co. KG emphasizes equal opportunities. We welcome the applications of people with disabilities, whose integration is an important matter to us. firstname.lastname@example.org