Software Engineer: Fullstack (Ruby, ReactJS) // Babbel
Who are we looking for
You are a Software Engineer with broad technology experience who can be trusted to take pragmatic decisions in their day to day workflow. You have an eye for details and enjoy working in a fast-moving and diverse company. You are keen to venture out of your comfort zone to try out new domains, technologies and ways of working. You have played around with one or more modern frontend frameworks and are curious to learn more.
You’d be working on a new innovative language learning product with focus on continuous delivery in a small cross functional team.
Our technology stack is Ruby, Grape for APIs, MongoDB and ReactJS with Redux.
Responsibilities for the role:
- Code hands-on yourself to deliver quality solutions.
- Pragmatic and not pedantic when it comes to software development.
- Participate in product shaping and embrace the chaos of an early stage product.
- Work in a cross-functional agile team and build the next generation of language learning app.
- Participate in technical architecture evolution with our team and lead architect.
- Maintain and evolve existing services – including refactoring and reduction of technical debt.
- Identify and implement innovative solutions and ensure long-term stability and maintainability of our code base.
- Ensure code quality and participate in code reviews.
- Seamless transition in working styles geared towards building prototypes and production quality codebases.
- 2+ years experience in software development.
- Experience with building Single Page Applications using React and Redux frameworks.
- Software development talent proven by great work results/experience, hobby projects or open source contribution.
- Experience in building prototypes for quick market fit evaluations is a plus.
- Passion for building scalable distributed architectures and services using proven software design techniques.
- Experience in refactoring and methodologies of managing and driving down technical debt.
- Experience in TDD using Rspec, Mocha and standard Ruby testing frameworks.
- OPTIONAL: Understanding of lean and agile practices, in particular Scrum and Kanban.
- OPTIONAL: Experience in using cloud services, ideally AWS and Heroku PAAS.
- OPTIONAL: Experience in at least one other server-side framework (e.g. using node.js, Erlang).
- Experience with NoSQL databases, especially MongoDB.
- Exposure to or experience in Machine Learning algorithms.
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide.
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth.
- Potential within a fast growing team.
- Participate in hackdays, technology brown-bags.
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours.
- Long-term prospects.
- A vibrant international team from over 20 different nationalities.
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene.
- Great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, hackathons etc.)
Check out our jobs page, our blog, and our techblog to get an impression of how we work at Babbel !