Team Lead – Full Stack // Small Improvements
Who we are
We’re a team of 25 people on 3 continents and looking to grow. Our product is a feedback platform. Our clients’ staff use it to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives and to praise each other for a job well done. (We use it internally too of course.) It’s a userfriendly product, enabled by a very configurable and complex backend.
What you’ll do
You’ll be in charge of a team of 4, developing medium-sized features right away, and within months you’ll tackle some of our hardest problems.
You’ll participate at the planning stage of features and refactorings and make your voice heard. You’ll work closely with designers and with product management, and if you’re keen you can meet and discuss with clients too.
You’ll spend roughly 50% of the time coding, the other half you’ll be working with the team, conducting 1:1s, organising planning meetings and retrospectives, helping with hiring, organising the work in general, and keeping everyone happy and engaged.
Small Improvements offers flexibility and interesting challenges: One quarter your team will build an entirely new feature, the next quarter you’ll refine an existing one, and then you’ll work on nonfunctional requirements such as performance, security or architecture for a while.
Our tech stack includes Java on Google App Engine, Spring, Groovy & Spock, Elastic Search, Kibana, Gradle, React, Gulp, Webpack and some Node. Learn more on our Tech Stack page.
Who we’re looking for
This is a very hands-on position. You’ll fit in perfectly if:
- You just love to code, and improve every day. You are either very strong on the frontend (React) or on the backend (Java)
- You have at least 3 (ideally far more) years of experience coding fast-paced web applications and products
- You have managed a small team for at least 18 months already, and can share success stories and failures alike
- You strive for clean code and know how to test thoroughly
- You have worked with agile processes and in small companies
- You’re pragmatic and have a history of getting things launched
- You’re an excellent communicator, both in writing and in person
- You’re driven to succeed, but you’re humble and understand that it’s not about you but about the team
- You can provide strong references both from people you led and from your senior managers
We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we value diversity. We’re looking for friendly and bright people who can develop a great product without developing a huge ego.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you’ll contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office between S Hackescher Markt and U8 Weinmeisterstrasse is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.