UI Designer // Small Improvements
We help employees grow and communicate better. Our feedback platform serves 700+ customers worldwide, including GoEuro, OpenTable, Marley Spoon and GetYourGuide. We’d love to hire a UI designer with a passion for design to help us re-imagine major parts of both our brand and product.
We’re a small but very international team of 30 people based in Hackescher Markt for most, and the US. Our customers use Small Improvements to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives and to praise each other for a job well done. (We use it internally too of course.)
It’s a userfriendly product, enabled by a very configurable and complex backend. We’re constantly improving our product and strengthening the visual identity of the Small Improvements brand. Join our team of 6 UI/UX designers and 10 developers and help us make our product and brand truly world-class.
What you’ll do
The job combines two major aspects: designing UI’s for our website, and improving designs within our software application.
The Small Improvements website:
- Ensure the product looks slick and simple
- Visually represent the brand character through colour, imagery and text
- Display the right amount of detail at the right time
- Communicate features of the application in an enticing way
- Design pages that are equally useful on both mobile and desktop screens
- Assist in documenting and outlining the visual identity of the brand in our styleguide
The Small Improvements application:
- Work with the product team (and PMs) to conceptualise ideas
- Ensure the product is slick and simple
- Sketch wireframes, create clickable mockups, or code initial prototypes
- Work closely with the UI/UX Design team and consider how new designs relate to existing visual language used within the application
***Beyond feature work, you’ll contribute to our styleguide, you’ll stay up to date with broader trends, and you’ll be available for developers’ ad-hoc questions. As a Senior designer, you’ll provide new and innovative ideas to contribute to the team’s skillset.
To learn more about how we work, visit the Design Team’s page.***
Who we’re looking for
- You have at at least 1-2 years of experience designing web applications, and you’ve worked on at least 2 different software products
- You pay attention to detail
- You understand that great design relies both on measuring and on gut-feeling
- You balance your desire for perfection with a knack for shipping
- You’re pragmatic and push for the easy improvements first
- You have start-up experience, and ideally SAAS experience too
- You have basic HTML and CSS skills: You can work with existing code and you can prototype in the browser if needed
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international. We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English. Also, our team counts 16 nationalities for 28 employees!
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you’ll contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office between S Hackescher Markt and U8 Weinmeisterstrasse is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.