Director of Marketing // Small Improvements
We help employees grow and communicate better. Our feedback platform serves 700+ customers worldwide, including GoEuro, OpenTable, Marley Spoon and GetYourGuide. We’d love to recruit a Director of Marketing to drive our marketing strategy, lead and grow our team.
We’re a small but very international team of 30 people based in Hackescher Markt for most, and the US. Our customers use Small Improvements to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives and to praise each other for a job well done. (We use it internally too of course.)
We’ve got a very strong product and development team in place, and our support and customer success team is second to none. We’re now in the process of building out marketing and sales. Our product marketing team has grown to 3 people in the past year, and we’re covering the basics well. We’ve focused on content and relationship marketing so far and organized high quality events around the globe. But there is so much more we want to do! We need to (yes, cliché!) take our marketing to the next level, and grow the team further too.
For this to work we need an inspiring and resourceful Director of Marketing.
What you’ll do
The following tasks are central to the role:
- You will own the entire marketing strategy. In the beginning you’ll learn the ropes by fine-tuning existing processes, but over the course of a few months we want you to build and refine an optimal marketing strategy based on our capabilities and needs. You won’t have to start at zero, but there’s a lot to be done..!
- You will run projects. A strategy is worthless unless implemented. You will break things down into actionable chunks and slot them in. We like to keep things small: A two-page outline plus a Trello-board will be sufficient for a 3 month project, and you can come up with that in days rather than weeks or months. You’ll define tasks, follow up at our weekly status meetings, and ensure one work package is delivered before the next one is tackled.
- You will lead people.You will meet every team member for weekly one-on-ones, discussing needs and wishes, listening to feedback, giving feedback, helping manage and achieve goals and objectives, learning and mentoring, and encouraging overall wellbeing and greatness. Beyond the 1:1 relationships, you’ll ensure the team thrives and gels as a whole.
- You will help us grow the team. You will identify gaps, advertise new positions, interview and hire new team members, and you’ll also ensure new hires live up to expectations.
- You will be the go-to person for the rest of the company. You’ll be the interface for everyone who needs input or output from marketing, staying in close touch with product management, sales and development, and you’ll report directly to the CEO. You will present the marketing team’s status at our weekly all-hands meetings, and you’ll always keep an eye and ear open to identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration.
- You will carve out one practical area and get your hands dirty. Despite team growth we’ll always remain a fairly small and efficient marketing team, and nobody can only be a manager. Successful leaders at SI inspire others by also doing practical things on a daily basis. This could be anything from SEO to paid ads, from content to events, or from website to influencer marketing, it’s really your pick. But pick you must.
Who we’re looking for
You don’t have to tick all the boxes, but we are looking for someone quite special that embodies most of the following:
- You have strong experience in B2B / SAAS Product Marketing. We value consumer goods and e-commerce experience too, but we can’t consider someone who has just limited B2B experience.
- You have led and grown teams of 4 people or more before (…and enjoyed it! :))
- English is either your native language or you’re pretty close
- You write well and concisely. Most of what we do has a written ingredient, so you’ll need to be able to tell good from great, point out problems, and suggest improvements. Ideally you can send us some work samples.
- You’ll need to enjoy learning more about people operations (“HR”), feedback culture, modern workplaces, and what truly motivates people. You can’t excel at the role without understanding our industry. Prior experience is a huge plus, eagerness to learn is a prerequisite.
- You care about the bottom line. We’re not a “revenues-only” company, and we’re in it for the long haul, so not every initiative needs immediate returns. But we have to pay our bills and salaries, so most of our marketing efforts have to result in new prospects learning about our product.
We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we value diversity. We’re looking for friendly and bright people who can develop and promote a great product without developing a huge ego.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international. We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English. Also, our team counts 16 nationalities for 28 employees!
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you’ll contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office between S Hackescher Markt and U8 Weinmeisterstrasse is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.