VP of Product // Small Improvements
Join our Berlin Team
Do you want to help make work a better place? Small Improvements is one of the first startups to re-invent the traditional performance management process and help turn it into an ongoing and meaningful conversation.
Support us in our mission by shaping and evolving our product vision as well as building and implementing the strategy to get us there.
Who we are
Our international team of 32 people is largely based in Berlin. Given that most of our customers are outside of Europe, we also have several remote employees in the US.
Eight years in, we’re still self-funded which gives us the freedom to shape our business as we’d like it to be. Accordingly, the strong ethical values of our team are undeniable in how we run this place.
We’re passionate about creating an awesome product, delivering an exceptional customer experience, and sharing helpful resources.
Employees at 800 companies in 34 countries including SoundCloud, Zapier, and Duolingo use Small Improvements for regular check-ins, peer feedback, goal tracking, and recognition. Our customers include some of the most innovative and forward thinking people and culture leaders around the world.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a VP of Product to lead a department of five Small Improvers. Our Product team currently consists of a Product Manager, an Analyst, and a Design department of three. You will also collaborate heavily with our CEO, CTO, and customer-facing staff.
You will be in charge of the following:
- Shape, evolve, and drive the product vision and strategy
- Lead, grow, and inspire the Product department
- Own the roadmap and excite our departments and customers alike
- Contribute to the company strategy
- Gather input from across the company, customers and partners
- Work with all teams to streamline our processes and structures
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a strategy-oriented person who can also inspire and mentor others. Those are the qualities and previous experience we see as important:
- You are passionate about the future of work, managing people, and building an awesome product in a highly competitive space
- You’ve built and led product teams for years, and your team members would vouch for you
- You’re a strong communicator in the English language
- You have a strong background in Agile product development, and you have at least three years of SAAS product experience in demanding agile startups
- You have a positive attitude and love working in a fast-paced environment
- You enjoy process management and setting up the right structures for the work at hand
- You’ve successfully launched or overhauled at least two different products
- You have experience with end-user facing products
- You’ve successfully balanced the needs of all departments, ranging from sales to support.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re self-funded — our only “investors” are our amazing customers who have helped us grow our customer base largely through word of mouth.
- We balance life at work with life outside of work, and we don’t believe in overtime. If you want to work from home one day a week or a few weeks a year, that’s fine too.
- We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we believe diversity makes our culture and our product better.
- We invest in our people. You’ll get a learning & development budget, days off for attending conferences, and if you like, we’ll support you in learning German.
- We want to do well by doing good, so we turn down dodgy clients and donate 2% of our profits to charity.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
- We do annual company retreats to destinations like San Francisco, Toronto, and Lisbon so that all employees get to meet and connect. Our remote folks also get to enjoy time in the Berlin HQ if they like.