Backend Engineer (Go)
We build software to facilitate transfers between healthcare facilities (what is called patient discharge coordination): about 30% of patients need a solution to be organised after a hospital stay. That could mean receiving care at home, moving to a care home or recovering at a rehabilitation clinic.
Finding a spot is a complex task because the market is under a lot of pressure – most providers are at 95%+ capacity. We have developed a smart matching algorithm to let hospital staff find a solution tailored to their patients specific needs.
Since we launched the product in January 2017 a lot has happened! We are currently connecting 160+ hospitals to 10000 health care providers across Germany – we help thousands of patients every month. Pushed by the pandemic, Germany has decided to prioritise healthcare digitalisation. It means for us that we can expect to grow significantly in the coming months as every hospital needs to buy a digital discharge platform. Our philosophy is to stay small as we grow: we believe that with the right people, one can do much more with less. That’s why we are looking for someone entrepreneurial that would share those values with us, someone that aims at being autonomous and bring a lot to our team.
The current context is driving us to become a key player at the interface of large healthcare institutions notoriously known to be closed ecosystems. It’s bringing a lot of technical challenges along the way and we feel like we are only scratching the surface of what’s possible at the moment!
- Application code. We’re a Go shop. We are big fans of the limitations of the language that enables everyone to write similar code, without the stress of code style debates.
- Infrastructure. Our infrastructure is hosted on AWS. We use docker containers running on Elastic Beanstalk for our web servers, Redis as caching layer and PostgreSQL to store the data. We currently operate in two different datacenters (Germany and France).
- Monitoring. We have tried a lot of solutions but decided to go all-in with Datadog (metrics, logs, security, and tracing through APM).
- CI. We use CircleCI to validate and deploy our code.
And our frontend apps are built in React.
What you’ll work on
As part of the backend team, you’ll get to experience a variety of topics:
- Optimization: using the tools at your disposal, identify slow paths and optimise the code to make it run faster. We’re growing quite fast and our number of requests increases by 20% month on month. What used to work a year ago might need a small enhancement.
- Alert management: we want to be able to sleep at night and on weekends. For that reason, we believe in automation. The idea is to build and use tools that do the work for us, and notify us when something goes south – it doesn’t happen very often, but when it does, it’s better to be prepared.
– New features: write server code to support new features. We have plenty of projects in the pipe, such as a very lightweight amazon-like platform for medical supplies. You could also work with our machine learning engineer to enhance our matching algorithm.
- DevOps / Security: We have a very automated process to deploy code and maintain our applications but there’s always work to do. We’re dealing with patient data so we need to make sure our servers are secure.
- Integrations: We have become the most trusted party in the field on patient discharge coordination and are working hand in hand with the major health insurances and hospital groups to ensure that the healthcare sector finally becomes a connected world. As our product is based on an end-to-end encryption and most healthcare information systems are closed environments, sharing seamlessly data is a very challenging problematic.
Our philosophy is that developers are owners of the code they write until it gets to production. We rely a lot on automated tests to ensure everything stays stable – the rule is that code should be deployed at any time without manual approval or manual QA.
- We are a team of 45 international employees (German, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, France, Japan, UK, Ireland).
- The tech team is currently composed of 7 devs – 4 frontend, 3 backend.
- Our financing is secured. You won’t be fired after 3 months because the company ran out of money.
- We started our French subsidiary last year. It means two datacenters to manage :)
- We’ve a large open space in Moabit (http://www.abitmo.berlin/103/). It’s very well connected – S3/S5/S7/S9, 15 min from Tegel, 10 min to Hauptbahnof
- We are currently on a 40% in-office, 60% remote mode – we use the office time mostly to sync and exchange with the team.
- Every employee gets an UrbanSport (https://urbansportsclub.com/) subscription for free
- We cover BVG AB monthly ticket
- We don’t see ourselves as a remote-work-first company. We value physical communications and believe they enhance creativity.
- You have at least a year of experience as a Software Engineer, preferably with a CS degree.
- If you just did a bootcamp, this position is not for you, there’s too much going on :).
- You have a solid SQL knowledge.
- Prior experience in Go is not required as it’s so easy to learn the language, but of course it’s a big plus, same goes with typed languages.
- Since we’re a small team, we rely a lot on automation. It would be great if you already had some experience with CI, testing frameworks and DevOps technologies (Docker, AWS).
We will focus on candidates that are already based in Berlin, or at least in Europe as we don’t have the capacity to offer relocation / VISA support.
If you feel like it could be a great environment for you, I am looking forward having a chat with you!
Charles – CTO of Recare