Full Stack Developer (m/w/d) // Wikimedia Deutschland
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With about 130 employees and about 70.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of 38 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The best known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users.
Wikimedia Deutschland promotes these ideals even beyond the free encyclopedia: It is our aim to establish and advocate for the creation, collection, and distribution of free knowledge in all parts of society. Our objective is to create a world in which the sum of all human knowledge is freely accessible for everyone. The main focus of our activities is the support of volunteers, the development of technology and software, and the cooperation with cultural and scientific institutions. Furthermore, we advocate on both the national and EU-level a legal framework which allows for free knowledge to become part of our everyday life.
We are looking for a Full Stack Developer (m/f/d) to join one of our agile development teams in our office at the heart of Berlin. You will either be working on the software behind the Wikidata project or on the software that powers our fundraising application and possible cross-department projects.
- You care about software; you have a passion which you can clearly convey by your actions rather than personal statements on your CV alone
- You have an eye for software design and quality
- You can recognize legacy code and know how to effectively deal with it
- You are able to communicate fluently in English in a multi-disciplinary team
We’re interested in candidates from any background, as long as you have a solid understanding of object oriented languages and basic experience with web development.
Technologies we use
An (incomplete) list of technologies we’re currently using:
- MediaWiki, several MediaWiki extensions
- PHPUnit, QUnit, Selenium, Cucumber, PHPCS, PHPMD, JSLint, Rubocop
- MySQL, SQLite
- TravisCI, ScrutinizerCI, Jenkins
- Wikimedia Labs infrastructure
- Linux server, nginx
- Puppet, Vagrant
What we offer
- Internal presentations by our developers on topics they are enthusiastic about
- You can attend local user groups during working hours
- You will have a noticeable impact on one of the top five visited websites in the world
- We regularly go to conferences, both as participants and contributors
- A modern and centrally located office space
- An agile and dynamic organization with room for professional and personal development
- In addition to your salary we offer: Public transport allowance, access to complementary pension benefits, continued salary in the event of ill children, free-of-cost external life coaching; compensatory time off for all extra hours; free coffee, tea, soft drinks and organic fruits
Initial appointment is for 2 years.
All software we develop is Open Source, and we contribute back to various projects we use. Many of our components are published in a format that allows reuse outside of our own projects.
Then apply now! Send us your detailed application documents via our job portal. Our Human Resources Team will be happy to answer your questions. We kindly ask you to refrain from application photos and information on date of birth, marital status and parents. We look forward to hearing from you!
Wikimedia Deutschland is committed to equal opportunities and does not discriminate on the basis of, for example, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or belief, political or other opinion, gender, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.