Lead SRE (m/f/x)
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world’s largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 15 million users have planted over 100 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Lead Site Reliability Engineer (m/f/x) with expertise in container orchestration and resilience engineering practices to join us in Berlin (remote possible during worldwide Covid restrictions). In this role, you’ll work together with other Site Reliability Engineers to improve our platform infrastructure and optimize developers’ workflow. You will also have a key role in guiding the vision, direction, and technical strategy of our Site Reliability Engineering team while being the primary contact of the team’s stakeholders. You not only care about your work but also about the people you’re doing it with. This is your opportunity to become part of a transversal supportive team and shape a product used by millions of users!
What you’ll be doing
- Guide the team vision, direction, technical strategy and provide expertise to the team;
- Work in close collaboration with other Tech Leads, support cross-team communication, and be the exclusive contacts of the team stakeholders (other tech leads and engineering management);
- Define the team’s objectives, plan, and prioritization in collaboration with the team and stakeholders;
- Help establish and apply SRE best practices, standards, and policies across teams;
- Manage and improve incident handling processes, help to facilitate incident management program onboarding and shift planning, and participate as primary on-call engineer and escalation point for other on-call engineers;
- Drive technical improvements and identify innovation potential within the infrastructure domain with input from the teams;
- Strengthen our collaborative and inclusive culture, in alignment with our core values (https://bit.ly/2RuOb9A)
What you bring
- Track record of setting up and supporting SRE teams vision and strategy
- SRE experience developing or running large scale online services
- Strong communication skills and the ability to speak the language of stakeholders from different areas (product, tech, compliance, security)
- Understanding the value of a “service ownership” culture, and can support or mentor other developers with running services reliably in production
- Experience being part of incident management
- Experience monitoring applications in production and observability
These skills are nice to have, but not having them won’t impact our consideration of your application.
- Experience in implementing SLI/SLO
- Experience with some of the development tools from our Tech radar (https://thght.works/3sep0oq)
Salary range for the role:
A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience (69.4k – 79.8k) per year, based on your skills and experience, plus up to 5k per year for participating in the on-call rotation.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Relocation assistance and visa application support
- Learning days, Hackathons, offsite events, conference participation
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working to earn an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you’ll add millions of trees for the planet
- Your work will be used by millions of people across the globe daily
- Eco-activism is not expected, but it’s fully supported by the company
- Want to know what it’s like to work for Ecosia? Check out our info page at info.ecosia.org/about
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Available opportunities and support to advance your professional growth such as monthly learning days, hack days, and a free book policy
- An entrepreneurial environment open to your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other parts of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours (part -time:32 hours, also possible) and location. *If during covid-19 you work remotely, you need to be available during our core working hours (at least 10-16 Berlin time/CET)
- Two ‘no meeting days per week and open for periods of remote work
- 30 vacation days
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership, or your monthly green electricity bill
- Additional perks include weekly team lunches, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Diversity and inclusion are important for us and we are constantly working on improving it.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work
We are actively working on creating a workplace that promotes and values diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, and ethnicity.
We stay true to our mission together with ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
We are constantly working on improving it and welcome feedback.
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.