Senior Backend Engineer (Java / Kotlin) – Retail Operations // Zalando SE
In our Buying Article Management team you will be responsible for building the systems that allow us to buy more than 600.000 articles per year and therefore spend an approximate 2-3bn. EUR per year. This system will guarantee that the whole sales chain is covered, from aggregating all the information from our suppliers for every single article to providing those articles to our shop facing systems. Your systems will ensure that all products are available at the right time and place in our shop.
For more information about Retail Operations Business Unit, please visit this introductory page: http://tinyurl.com/y6j5h5lo
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
- You and your team will take ownership for the whole development cycle – from architecture design to implementation and testing as well as maintenance.
- You will collaborate with backend, frontend and fullstack engineers, UX designers, product management and other teams to grow our business and provide the best experience for our customers.
- You deliver high-quality software that tackles the business problem at hand efficiently and that your peers can easily understand and maintain because of its high-quality.
- Knowledge of the most of the components of our current tech stack consisting of Java, Scala, GO, AWS, Tomcat, Swagger, Spring, Docker, Postgres, NoSQL, React, Maven, GIT, Jenkins. While we work mainly with Java or Kotlin, a versatile colleague would fit right in.
- Significant experience in building distributed systems and a degree in computer science or related discipline
- You share knowledge and learn from your peers. Being collaborative and have a learning mindset is highly appreciated in our teams.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 9+ years of professional experience (in a commercial, agile setting) in Java and/or Kotlin and relevant frameworks like Spring.
- Previous leadership experience would be a great advantage (but not a must).
- Hands on experience in system architecture and RESTful API design, as well as building microservice-based systems, preferably in the cloud (eg. AWS, Kubernetes).
- As our systems are tailored for our Suppliers, Buyers and Finance department, experience with business systems such as ERP, PIM or Supply Chain Management is highly advantageous (but not a must)
- Effective communication and finding creative solutions to complex problems together with an interest in making a real impact through your work.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, commitment, meetups, 100+ internal guilds, knowledge sharing through tech talks, internal tech academy and product demos, parties & events
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, training platform and training budget, free language courses (English / German), pension scheme, 40% Zalando shopping discount on most products from our catalogue, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, additional holidays and volunteering time off, diverse sports and health offerings
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and access to an international team of experts
- Relocation assistance for internationals, PME family service and parent & child rooms* (*available only in select locations)
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form and submitted in English – we do not accept applications via e-mail.