Senior Backend Engineer – Real-time Data (f/m/x)
At HelloFresh, our mission is to change the way people eat – forever. From our 2011 founding in Europe’s vibrant tech hub Berlin, we’ve become the global market leader in the meal kit sector and inspire millions of energised home cooks across the globe every week.
We offer our meal kit boxes full of exciting recipes and thoughtfully sourced, fresh ingredients in more than 12 countries, operating from offices in Berlin, New York City, Sydney, Toronto, London, Amsterdam and Copenhagen and shipped out more than 250 Million meals in 2019.
Our more than 5,000 employees are the heart and soul of our highly international, fast-paced, and dynamic environment where innovation and smart, fast action is encouraged.
We want you to join us and help take HelloFresh to the next level – as a company in its growth phase this is a great time to join. Career and development opportunities are endless.
We will encourage you to make an immediate impact in your area of work as well as empower you to grow your career with us.
Our Engineering, Data, Product and Security teams are located in Berlin and New York and are critical to what we do. From procurement tools, to conversion rate optimization, live pricing tools, payment services and add-on upselling features, we work on challenging problems and have a high output of building and releasing features and engines that make our business thrive and deliver real financial impact.
You can get a taste of what we’ve been working on by checking out our tech blog.
About the job
As a Senior Backend Engineer – Real-time Data at HelloFresh, you will be working in a cross-functional agile team to build highly scalable and robust microservices communication platform using cutting-edge technologies like Kafka. You will be responsible for our core infrastructure to process millions of events per day across more than 150 microservices. You will impact critical business processes by ensuring real-time data consistency, availability, scalability, and performance. You will have the opportunity to work on challenges like:
- Building and maintaining Kafka infrastructure & tools
- Designing scalable architecture for microservices communication
- Implementing highly available services
- Designing efficient data structures/schema for events
- Building real-time data pipelines
- Driving best practices for event-driven design
Who we are looking for
- Strong design and architecture skills
- Extensive experience with Kafka
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Golang required, Java is a plus
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, monitoring and alerting tools
- Understanding of distributed systems and event streaming
- Relevant experience with real-time streaming pipelines (spark-streaming, flink)
- Preferred experience with cloud kafka solutions (Aiven / Confluent)
- Knowledge of Software Engineering best practices
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, ability to build effective communication structures in a fast-growing engineering organization
- Exceptional technical background demonstrated by a clear impact on achieving business goals.
- Demonstrable past experience with Agile methodologies, with a strong focus on data-driven experimentation, lean thinking, and quick iterations
What we offer
- Relocation assistance to move to Berlin and visa application support
- Competitive compensation
- Significant reduction in our meal kits
- Annual learning and development budget to attend conferences or purchase educational resources
- Sabbatical Policy
- Work in our office located in the heart of Berlin
- A diverse and vibrant international environment
- A range of perks (Free in-house crash course in German, compensation for advanced German classes, in-house lecture series, and knowledge sharing program, discounts for our neighboring gym & Urban Sports Club, free weekly yoga classes, summer & winter parties, discount on our HelloFresh GO vending machines)
- The chance to have a significant impact on one of the fastest-growing technology companies in Europe in an exciting growth phase
Are you up for a challenge?
Please submit your complete application below including your salary expectations and earliest starting date.