Senior Cloud Platform Engineer
Senior Cloud Platform Engineer
Permanent employee, Full-time · Berlin
About the role
Apheris is pioneering a new way to securely share data across companies collaboratively working on Artificial Intelligence solutions. We’re looking for a Senior Cloud Platform Engineer to join our talented engineering team.
As a Senior Cloud Platform Engineer at Apheris, you will be in charge of designing and implementing software solutions to enhance our cloud-native product core, consisting of both AWS services and cloud-agnostic services. You will be working on challenging deep tech projects alongside data scientists, engineers and large enterprise customers and leading AI scale-ups. Leveraging your expertise, you will be co-responsible for meeting project and product goals and act accordingly to upcoming bottlenecks. We empower you to be a major contributor to the success of projects, customer satisfaction, and the advancement of our product core.
We’re seeking candidates with experience of high-growth, fast-paced environments who have a desire to really make an impact.
What you will do
- Design our product solution architecture in a cloud-agnostic manner, leveraging containerization technologies such as Kubernetes/Docker
- Realize secure microservices-based distributed systems, leveraging authentication, authorization, encryption and more
- Be a hands-on engineering contributor by crafting clear and reusable code
- Promote best practices in our tech team
- Define concepts and blueprints, providing constraints and guidelines for the evolution of our product solution architecture
- Explore novel technologies (e.g., to improve functionality, performance, security), evaluate their potential and maturity and present learnings back to the team
- Review implementations and proposed solutions of other team members and provide constructive feedback
You should apply if
- 5+ years of relevant working experience, or a Bachelor / Master / PhD in Computer Science or related fields (e.g., Physics, Mathematics, Engineering) and 5+ years of relevant working experience
- Expert experience with building distributed/federated systems, including Docker, Kubernetes, and microservices architectures in general
- Experience with cloud technologies and providers (preferably AWS) with a focus on security, scalability and maintainability
- Experience with implementing infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with Git, Git flow concepts, as well as DevOps and CI/CD
- Good knowledge of architectural methodologies and frameworks
- Passionate about continuous learning, demonstrated agility in quickly adopting and mastering new technologies
- Excellent communicator: you are fluent in English (verbal and written) and communicate in a constructive and proactive manner
- You are confident to take ownership of a problem, gather ideas to solve it and convey your approach efficiently
- You have genuine interest in working with cutting-edge technology in a fast-paced environment and a young start-up
If you don’t feel your experience 100% matches the requirements but you think you’d be a great fit this role and Apheris, we encourage you to apply. We value the right people and look at personality, potential and motivation to learn and grow. We can discuss and adapt the role in a way that is meant for you!
Bonus points if
- Experience in designing, building and operating large-scale products consisting of several distributed services / microservices connected via the public internet, involving technologies like gRPC
- Good knowledge of modern Microservices and Web Application Security (e.g., OWASP)
- Experience with multiple cloud providers (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP, OpenStack) and on-premise setups (e.g., locally hosted Kubernetes)
- Based in Berlin
- Experience in developing enterprise-grade software for large B2B products
- Experience working as part of an agile product development team
- Experience with project management and leadership
What we offer you
- Industry-competitive compensation
- Early-stage equity
- Remote-first working – work where you work best, whether from home, a co-working space near you.
- Regular team lunches and social events
- Generous holiday allowance (location-dependent)
- Quarterly All Hands meet-up (usually at our Berlin HQ should you choose to join in)
- A diverse team of mission-driven individuals with a drive to see AI and ML used for good
- Plenty of room to grow personally and professionally and shape your own role
- A fun and diverse team of smart and driven people
Here’s a bit more about our culture and ambitions at Apheris!
Finding solutions to the planet’s most urgent problems requires organizations to collaborate. But the data and insights needed to solve these challenges are locked away in businesses, unable to be centralized or directly shared for collaboration with customers and partners.
Apheris is pioneering a new way for organizations to securely collaborate on even the most sensitive data across organizational and geographical boundaries. By unlocking value from sensitive data, Apheris is accelerating discovery and innovation, driving operational efficiency, and reducing risk and carbon impact for our customers and their partners.
Apheris is a platform that empowers businesses to run advanced analytics and machine learning models across organizational and geographical borders in a way that’s secure, private, and governed. By powering their data infrastructure with federated ML and analytics, businesses can build and operationalize data applications in ways previously not possible.
At Apheris, we’re unified by our mission and the positive impact we can have. We’re excited by the potential we can bring with our federated approach and are looking for someone who can help us define, build and scale this impact. What are you waiting for? Come and join us.
Our interview process is split into three phases:
- Initial Screening: If your application matches our requirements, our hiring manager will invite you to an initial video call. In this 45 minutes interview, you will get to know us and the role. Our hiring manager will be interested in your relevant experiences and skills, as well as answer any question on the company and the role itself that you may have.
- Deep Dive: Your second video call will be with a domain expert from our team. Our interviewer will assess your skills and knowledge required for the role by asking you about meaningful experiences or your solutions for specific scenarios in line with the role we are staffing.
- Final Interview: Finally, we invite you to our office for two to three hours of interviewing with our founders, talking about our culture and meeting future co-workers on the ground.
Our mission statement
Securely connect data across organizations to collaboratively solve the largest problems our planet is facing.