(Senior) Engineering Manager – Mobile (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Germany. Our headquarters are in Berlin and we support a hybrid home office/in-person approach to work.
Lead the team that will bring ResearchGate on to the mobile devices of millions of scientists around the world. The job of a scientist is much more than being in a lab. It’s about connecting to peers, discovering new research, answering questions in the community and much more. Many of these use cases can be satisfied on the go, enabling researchers to do even more with their time. We’ve already successfully launched an iOS app to hundreds of thousands of researchers but now it’s time to launch to Android and scale to millions!
As the Engineering Manager of the Mobile Team, you will enable your team of 4-6 Engineers to build incredible mobile-first experiences by focusing primarily on people, processes and culture. Though you’re an engineer at heart who isn’t afraid of being hands-on, you recognize that leadership is the act of achieving goals through others rather than directly. Most importantly, you and the team will make an impact for over 20 million members around the world, who themselves have an impact on 8 billion people’s lives via their research.
Where your expertise is needed
- You’ll create an engaging and supportive environment for a multidisciplinary team of 4-6 engineers via 1:1s, creating growth opportunities & mentoring plans, and by providing timely and actionable feedback.
- You’ll define and track relevant KPIs and optimize your team’s internal and collaborative processes so your team can do their best work at a sustainable pace.
- You’ll take responsibility for hiring and onboarding new colleagues with the support of the recruiting team.
- You will ensure that the team is making the right technical decisions that will enable us in the short and long term.
What we’re looking for
- You have at least 3 years of experience as an Engineering Manager (people, delivery, and hiring) of agile development teams.
- You’ve acquired a deep understanding of React Native and operating production apps on both Android and iOS platforms.
- You’ve gained a track record of growing, coaching, motivating and mentoring team members including senior engineers.
- You’ve got exceptional English communication and interpersonal skills.
- It’s a big plus if you have experience with Typescript & GraphQL.
- Together with product management, you will define, estimate and deliver feature roadmaps while maintaining healthy levels of technical debt.
What you can expect from us
Work with impact. At ResearchGate, your input can help over 20 million scientists and researchers to solve global challenges. Whether studying the first moments of our universe or tracking global warming, our users are making a real difference.
Building at scale. This means creating flexible solutions that connect thousands of publishers with millions of scientists.
Grow at work. At ResearchGate, we put people first. You’ll join an environment where your personal development is critical to us. In regular 1:1s & quarterly feedback talks, you and your manager will identify possible paths for you to grow, plan the actionable steps forward and agree on the right amount of guidance needed to reach your goals.
Have ownership. As the manager of the Mobile team, you’ll be able to invigorate and expand ResearchGate’s mobile presence. You’ll define and own medium to long-term initiatives that will shape the future of the company. Your thinking, your feedback and your execution will be key to our success.
ResearchGate was founded in 2008 by three friends who believed it was possible to connect all of the world’s scientists.
By 2015, four complete rounds of financing had fueled ResearchGate’s growth and investors included Benchmark Capital, Founders Fund, Bill Gates, Tenaya Capital, Goldman Sachs, Wellcome Trust, and Four Rivers Group.
Today, 20 million members connect on the network, collaborate, and share their research. They report on their research as it happens and get feedback to make progress faster, post questions and answers, and find new jobs that fit their interest and research profiles.
At ResearchGate we are a bunch of pragmatic optimists from all around the world and from manymany different backgrounds. Together, we focus on taking the web back to its original mission and changing the way scientists communicate for the better, created by scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world.
Our goal is to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Our hiring process is transparent and uncomplicated. We are very aware that interview processes are a taxing phase in your life and respect your time and effort. We aim to have “just enough” process to ensure that we all can make an informed decision if it’s a mutual fit for both of us.
If you feel at any time we could do better or require accommodations for a better candidate experience, please let us know and we will fix it. Your feedback is welcomed and appreciated.