Senior Frontend Engineer – ReactJS
Who we are
If you are looking to have an impact on the world, then read carefully because at Choco, we are moving mountains to transition the world into sustainable food systems. The food industry is an industry with essential problems, especially in food-supply-chain. We are now leveraging technology to bring change and start the necessary transformation the industry is craving for. We are building the digital platform on which the global food trade will operate. Our company has the potential to reduce food prices, decrease food waste by 30% and reshape one of the oldest and largest industries on the planet.
In 2018 we entered the market with our chat-based ordering app and had drastically changed the way businesses work and order with their suppliers. Therefore, we are looking for more Chocorians who share our vision and want to join our journey here in Berlin. Our founders have helped build companies such as Zalando (IPO’d), Lazada (sold to Alibaba) and Foodora (sold to DeliveryHero). We have just raised one of the largest Series A funding rounds in European history.
Technology is at the core of our work. We are product-minded builders, architects, coders, bug-hunters and designers. We deliver the needed change via our mobile and web apps using cutting-edge tools, modern engineering practices and always keeping software quality on our radar. We hire the right people and work with the right tools to stay on top of the technology game.
Join us in leading the world’s transition to sustainable food systems.
What you will do
Here at Choco, we like to use the space shuttle as a metaphor for our engineering work. Now, you will join and help us bring the shuttle to the moon. We are just launching our new cross-functional team focusing on implementing a business-critical payment product and all related functionalities across our mobile and web platforms. Your main objective will be to build a payment product’s web frontend from scratch within the team. You will take end to end ownership for delivering the solution, ensuring it’s user-friendly, stable and performant. We will rely on your technical expertise, web architecture skills and collaboration to move both the product and the team closer to our goals. On a daily basis you will:
- Work in a cross-functional team in an agile environment together with a Tech Lead/Engineering Manager, product manager, product designer, backend engineer, mobile engineers and QA.
- Implement modern frontend solutions in ReactJS based on a distributed architecture.
- Collaborate closely with your product designer, keep the user in mind and create an attractive UI.
- Operate and the services your team owns in order to meet our user’s expectations
- Share your knowledge in your team and in our Frontend Chapter, develop expertise in our product and grow with your team to become an even greater engineer.
Our tech stack in Frontend Engineering
We have a cutting-edge environment and use ReactJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, Cypress, Jest, Styled Components, Micro-frontends and our infrastructure is powered by AWS SNS, AWS SQS, AWS Lambda, AWS AppSync, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodePipeline and AWS S3.
What you will need to have an impact with us
- 5+ years experience as a frontend developer, with at least 3+ years of experience in delivering global and scalable web solutions with ReactJS
- Previous experience with payment solutions and integrations
- Experience with working with testing frameworks like Jest, React Testing Library, Cypress
- Proven experience with cloud providers and in building resilient and scalable infrastructure
- Know how to write clean code, apply design patterns and unit testing
- Ability to drive and deliver large features and projects spanning across multiple sprints.
- Ability to identify, articulate issues and take ownership for delivering practical solutions, while prioritizing tasks effectively.
- Strong communication skills combined with influence and eagerness to share and develop others
- Good learning ability, open-mindedness and good self-organizational skills will be absolutely key to the success of your work and the business overall.
You will impress us even more if you have
- Experience with AWS services
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Experience with GraphQL or AppSync
- Experience working with Serverless architecture
- Experience building real-time communication
- Experience building chatbots
What it’s like to be a Chocorian
You will join a company filled with smart, humble and hard-working people. We are a start-up where people put the team first, deeply trust each other, take ownership and truly understand what they are working for day by day.
You will join a group of people from all around the world who share their experiences and contribute in their areas of expertise and learn from each other.
You will join a passionate team that shares the same values and vision, a circle of friends that not only works hard but also laughs with- and cheers for each other.
With that said, it is absolutely crucial to find people who share this with us and who deeply identify themselves with the values of a Chocorian.
We invite you to take part in the following selection process:
- Introduction call: a Tech Recruiter will tell you more about Choco, our Tech Org and get to know your work, background, interests and you as a person better.
- Technical interview: our Frontend Chapter Lead will have a technical deep dive with you. No coding, no whiteboard here. We want to map your previous experience, React engineering fundamentals, knowledge of architectures, TypeScript and testing background.
- Tech challenge at home: now is the time to show us your coding skills via a task from the comfort of your home. Our tech challenge models a simple web app and it takes about 3-6 hours to complete. Our team will review within 48 hours and share feedback.
- Product Demo: present your task solution to our Team Lead and Product Manager like a demo. They will check your fit to the team, how you collaborate with the non-tech side of the organization and your way of thinking about product.
- Cultural interview: our engineering manager will have a chat with you about our culture and checks what can be your non-technical contribution to Choco.
- OFFER: your interviewers will make a decision together regarding your offer.
A stellar onboarding and the smartest team in the foodspace will be waiting for you ! 🚀
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.