(Senior) Full Stack Software Engineer
ENGIE Mobisol GmbH is part of Engie SA, a worldwide energy provider with focus on renewable energy. ENGIE Mobisol is a leading global player in decentralized solar electrification and driven by market demand for off-grid solutions. Beyond lighting we design, distribute and service solar systems, integrated with proprietary pay-as-you-go (PAYG) software. By combining innovative solar hardware with mobile payment technologies, the Berlin-based company ensures affordability through flexible payment plans. ENGIE Mobisol enables rural families and businesses to power a wide range of compatible appliances, such as televisions and stereos, thereby improving people\’s standard of living and enabling incremental income from new solar-powered businesses. With over 600 employees, ENGIE Mobisol runs its own operations in Tanzania, Kenya, and Rwanda, while providing hardware and software solutions through a growing network of B2B partnerships in another nine countries worldwide.
What this job is about
In this Position, as part of our international Software Development Team, you will be integrating, maintaining, developing and expanding our software applications to provide an ecosystem of services that contributes to a positive, visible difference on the field for our customers and stakeholders. ENGIE PowerCorner develops sustainable mini-grids to provide electricity in rural communities using a combination of key innovations: standardized low-cost decentralized power plant, a local distribution grid combined with smart prepaid meters and mobile money. The market potential for mini-grids is significant with 600 million people without access to electricity in sub-Saharan Africa. ENGIE PowerCorner is present in Tanzania and Zambia with 13 minigrids in operation, the company is currently building more sites in Benin and Uganda.ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner, both companies are part of ENGIE BU Africa, a pioneer in “Access to Energy” through its mini-grids and Solar-Home-Systems activities. It aims to become a leading off-grid energy services company on the continent, making universal access to modern energy a reality. ENGIE is already providing clean decentralized electricity with these solutions to more than 1 million people in 9 African countries.The Position, as part of Engie Mobisol and Engie PowerCorner at the same time, will be the interface between our two ecosystems, which will integrated into one in the future.
The job will include the full stack development of our web and mobile applications, and the integration of data streams from and to other systems such as our Salesforce CRM, mobile application, backend and the mobile money operators. The role offers the opportunity to accompany the project along its growth, combining the agility of a small innovative team and the impact a large company can offer.
Together with our international Software Development Team you…
- Develop software that enables us to roll-out Mini-grids for off-grid markets
- Push our product further – develop new features for our micro-services, web & mobile apps
- Maintain current system, implement bug fixes and refactor the existing software to support efficient services at scale
- Are responsible for releases to PROD
- Bring experience with TDD, CICD pipeline and Jenkins
- Enforce best practices (code, unit tests, architecture, agile etc)
- Discuss with Product Owner about tasks and business requirements and come up with user stories and sprint planning
- Are creative force, generating ideas and testing disruptive technologies and methods through proof of concepts
- Support to the teams in Africa on reporting, data analytics and Training
Moreover, depending on your level of expierence, you are mentoring junior developers in our team in order to hold strings together and oversee the software platforms to enable businesses to scale in rural off-grid markets.
- Master’s degree in Computer Sciences
- 3-6 years of work experience as a Full Stack Software Developer
- The position requires good knowledge of:
- Python 3 and AWS services (lambda, API Gateway, SNS, SQS, RDS, EC2, ECR etc)
- Relational and NoSQL databases
- As a professional you are resourceful with strong troubleshooting skills, self-organized, pro-active, collaborative, a quick learner and you have passion for energy access and a willingness to pursue state-off-the-art technologies
- Personally you bring in team spirit, creativity, intercultural competence and a good sence of Humor
- Passion for discovering, evaluating and implementing new technical Solutions and further knowledge of technologies like serverless architecture would make you the 100% fit candidate
- Professional level of English; knowledge of German or French would be an additional asset
- Be part of a great team – we are international and diverse, welcoming, self-organised, passionate
- Develop personally and professionally – besides new experiences of developing in an international context with new technologies, we strongly support your participation in Hackathons, developer conferences and classical trainings.
- Flat hierarchies and unusual ways of doing things – your prior experiences and spontaneous ideas are more than welcome
- Flexibility is key, also in practical matters: you can work part-time, and home office/remote work is possible, as well after corona
- Do something meaningful – you will be an essential part of an enterprise that brings real positive impact to countless families in Africa.
How to apply
Important for us are your skills and your motivation rather than certificates or university degrees. Please apply via the button below!
As an equal opportunity employer, Engie Mobisol offers all of its employees and applicants full equal opportunity irrespective of race, ethnic origin, sexual identity and disability, religion or beliefs.