Senior Java / Kotlin Engineer – Retail Operations – In Season Management // Zalando SE
As a Senior Backend Engineer in Retail Operations you are responsible for improving the Zalando Supply Chain. The \”ISM\” team focuses on the optimization of in-season processes. You will help building a new platform that allows our fashion colleagues to make the right decisions on which articles to replenish during the sales season while keeping a good and smooth relationship with our suppliers.
The goal is to make the whole reordering process as intuitive and as touchless as possible with tools having the potential to shape the future in this field. Our team believes in cross-functional engineering, so there are always opportunities to influence decisions, support other engineers within your team and work across the full stack. We are responsible for the end to end cycle: setting up the data pipelines, data persistence, developing and modeling a domain logic in a microservices architecture.
More information about our Business Unit can be found here.
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
- Building Java/Kotlin microservices backend applications that communicate with other systems via REST APIs and Kafka-like events.
- Connect Zalando’s suppliers and internal users via NodeJS/React frontend applications to the backend systems (nice to have).
- Maintain continuous delivery for our applications, working with Github Enterprise and build pipelines deploying to Kubernetes clusters hosted in AWS.
- Monitor our applications’ health with Grafana and Zmon dashboards.
- Participate in the whole software development lifecycle in an agile team: helping the product specialists with requirements, UX discussions, sprint planning and retrospectives.
- Be your team\’s biggest fan, support your colleague, empower and mentor the more junior colleagues and be a sparring partner for colleagues from Product, UX/UI, Agile teams.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years of professional experience in application development, with a focus on backend with Java or Kotlin. Exposure to frontend development with React, NodeJS would be advantageous but it is not required.
- Good knowledge of relational databases and ORM frameworks.
- Practical knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD; experience in AWS.
- Significant experience in building distributed systems.
- You are an inspiring mentor for others, you thrive when working in a team.
- You understand communication as the core of engineering, and you can lead technical discussions within groups.
- You are happy to pair, learn, teach, share, and document things.
- Excellent analytical skills, an agile mindset – curious and proactive when it comes to software trends.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, open source commitment, meetups, 100+ internal guilds, knowledge sharing through tech talks, internal tech academy and blogs, product demos, parties & events
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, pension scheme, 40% Zalando shopping discount on most products from our catalogue, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, additional holidays and volunteering time off, diverse sports and health offerings
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and access to an international team of experts
- Relocation assistance for internationals, PME family service and parent & child rooms* (*available only in select locations)
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form and submitted in English – we do not accept applications via e-mail.