Senior PHP Engineer – Product (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Germany. Our headquarters are in Berlin and we support a hybrid home office/in person approach to work.
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Here at ResearchGate, we are looking for a PHP backend engineer to join our product team, which is building the features to connect scientists worldwide.
We are a bunch of pragmatic optimists from all around the world and many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on taking the web back to its original mission and changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
Our goal is to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
You will be working with Team Gummibears, a cross-functional team responsible for Platform Monetisation focusing on our Marketing Solutions and Scientific Talent products. We build innovative digital & content marketing products with the aim to increase both customer and researcher value.
We have an average of 55+ Million unique visitors per month. Our engineering efforts take lots of care, ownership and rapid response time: a single release -which happens multiple times a day- will immediately impact thousands of users.
Your work at Team Gummibears will include not only feature development, but constant improvement of our platform. We foster good quality software and want to keep improving ours as much as possible. Our team is very friendly towards refactoring, test-driven development, good architecture and design and we expect our next engineer to share the same values.
We also take mentoring seriously: you can expect a safe environment to learn, ask questions, challenge decisions and make mistakes. You will be paired with other engineers who will encourage, support and get you up to speed.
Last but not least, you will very seldom confront features that came out of thin air. Our Product Manager is very inventive indeed, but all code we write is tested, monitored and measured. Product changes and propositions come with a success metric and we simply cut out those that don’t make it.
To be successful in the role of a Senior PHP Engineer at ResearchGate our ideal candidate would have these following traits and experiences:
- Excellent knowledge of PHP and its ecosystem. Ideally you have worked with modern PHP frameworks such as Symfony4 or Laravel
- Familiarity with best practices of software engineering, such as SOLID and “clean code”, you understand how to apply them in the PHP environment
- Experience with building and integrating REST-like or GraphQL APIs
- Know-how of integrating web services & NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and awareness of the challenges they bring, how to handle and optimize their integration
- Proficiency in automated testing, you ensure the correctness and quality of your implementations on the long-term
- Experience working and building scalable systems
- Knowledge of Google Ad Manager Key-Value targeting and Programmatic advertising / Real-Time Bidding is a plus
- Knowledge of Java, micro-services, DropWizard, Kafka, Hadoop, HBase, HDFS is a plus
- You take responsibility for your own solutions and continuously improve on them
- You like to work in close collaboration within your team and supporting functions
- You excel at designing and creating coherent, user-centric interfaces that display complex information
- You understand our mission and want to help us achieve it
Joining ResearchGate gives you the possibility to:
Work with impact. At ResearchGate your input can help scientists and researchers to gain knowledge and solve problems of modern society.
Build at scale. ResearchGate is one of the most visited sites on the Internet. With us, you can create features that are used by millions of researchers per week.
Innovate through iteration. Agile methodologies are core to our success – this way of working allows you to build a feature, measure its success and learn how to improve it in short iterative cycles.
Grow at work. Whether you want to be a manager, an architect, or find your own way to drive impact, you will get the guidance you need. With regular one on ones, quarterly development talks and defined career levels, you and your manager will identify possible paths for you to grow.
The Hiring Process
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You will be interviewed by the people you will be working with, pair-program with us and quickly find the role that suits you best to start making an impact.
Our headquarters are located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world.