Senior React Developer
Start: As soon as possible
Chatterbug is building the internet’s best way to learn a language by empowering those who speak them: Humans! Humans build our curriculum, teach our students how to speak in one-on-one lessons, and now we are looking for a few more humans to join us in making Chatterbug the best it can be.
Check us out at https://chatterbug.com.
About the job
We believe that design and usability are the foundation of an excellent product experience. Our small Product/Design and Engineering teams work together very closely all the way from concept to final implementation. We use an iterative process, release often, and stay open to feedback.
As we are starting on some major product improvements, we are looking to add an experienced React developer to join our team in order to expand the scope of what’s possible with Chatterbug. Our web and mobile app are written in React and React-Native respectively and we work on both.
You’re a multi-talented engineer who wants to join our team, building our language-learning product and infrastructure. You will be part of a small development team and have the opportunity to own major components of our systems.
You’ll ship new features to our students and tutors, you’ll help be in service of our growing curriculum development team building our language learning content, and you’ll assist in digging into technical issues in our stack.
You’re an active learner whose passions may include learning languages. (If you know a language other than English please tell us!)
Engineering at Chatterbug
Our team is spread across the US and Europe. Here’s what you can expect to see:
- Weekly standup meetings coordinated across time zones
- Regular 1-1 meetings with your manager
- Short iterations with planning, estimation, and retrospectives
- Our Stack: React Native, GraphQL, React, ES6 on the frontend, and Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and Redis on the backend.
- WebRTC is at the heart of our business, used for all of our language lessons
- Continuous integration / continuous deployment of your code from your first day
- A serious commitment to testing with Jest
- Stressless on-call rotation spread across all engineers
- You live in Berlin or are willing to move here
- Experience with React Native or excited to learn
- At least 3 years experience as a front-end engineer
- Have worked on a small team or desire to do so
- The necessary communication skills and initiative to lead your own projects
Ideally you will also have:
- Experience with GraphQL, styled-components, webpack and Babel
Want to apply?
We look forward to hearing from you!