Senior Software Engineer, Java (m/f/d)
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Join our team to take the web back to its roots and achieve that original mission.
We’re a team of pragmatic optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
We’re looking for a skilled Senior Software Engineer who cares about efficiency and building maintainable software. This software allows us to create, structure and leverage a research graph of over 20+ million users, 140+ million publications, 1.5+ billion citations, millions of authors, countless institutions and more.
Most importantly, you will make an impact for 20+ million scientists around the world, who themselves have an impact on 8 billion peoples’ lives via their research.
Make an impact: At ResearchGate your input can help over 20 million scientists and researchers to solve global challenges. Whether studying the first moments of our universe or tracking global warming, our users are making a real difference.
Building at scale: Scale at ResearchGate means that you can create features and user interfaces that are used by millions of researchers per week. This allows us to always identify and resolve scalability issues with the goal to continuously ship reliable features and great user experiences.
Innovation through iteration: Agile methodologies are core to our success – this way of working allows you to build a feature, measure its success and learn how to improve it in short iterative cycles. We make sure to constantly improve our front-end infrastructure and design and implement efficient and reusable front-end systems that drive complex web applications.
Grow at work: We put people first. You’ll join an environment where your personal development is our number one priority. In regular one-on-ones and quarterly feedback talks, you and your manager will identify possible paths for you to grow and the right amount of guidance needed to reach your goals.
Have ownership: As a member of a product engineering team, you’re given the opportunity to own medium to long-term initiatives and potentially entire solutions. Your ability to ideate, estimate, plan, and execute will be key to the success of the team. You’ll collaborate with product managers, designers, and software engineers to deliver compelling user-facing products.
- Develop and implement Java-based services (REST- and message-driven)
- Design databases for high-performance data access in relational and non-relational databases (MongoDB, HBase)
- Build efficient batch and stream processing pipelines to handle our big data workloads
- Create robust and evolvable solutions with quality of service and data integrity in mind
- In-depth understanding of Java
- Knowledge of developing REST microservices (Dropwizard, Kubernetes)
- Proficient in SQL (Hive)
- Know-how of No-SQL databases (MongoDB, HBase)
- Nice to have: Experience working with Hadoop related technologies like Flink, MapReduce, HBase, Hive and HDFS
- Nice to have: Experience writing search indexes (Solr, Lucene)
- You excel at building maintainable, efficient, and scalable software
- You are motivated to deep-dive into challenging problems, from the understanding of the problem and evaluation of the options to the planning, implementation and verification of the solution.
- You are skilled in analyzing and optimising code for performance and stability
- You enjoy working with great people in an agile environment
- You care about our mission and want to help us achieve it
You’ll be working in a dynamic company culture with the possibility to individually shape your own professional development and growth.
Enjoy an energetic and international team who is passionate about changing science for the better.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated: you’ll be interviewed by the people you’ll be working with.
Our headquarters are located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world.
This is a full-time position based in either Germany or the UK. We are a digital first organisation and support mobile and flexible working.