Senior Software Engineer Scala (m/f) // Free2Move
Thanks for stopping by! First, here’s a little bit about us. Free2Move is a subsidiary of the PSA group based in Berlin – and one of the most exciting projects in the mobility sector. Through our app, people can access 70,000 shared vehicles in 30 cities across the globe – and find, reserve and book all shared vehicles around them, whether a scooter, car or bike, all on ONE map. Let that sink in for a minute. Amazing, right? With 1 million people having accessed our app, we’re pretty happy to say our customers think so too. Our database of sharing providers, from car2go, COUP, Donkey Republic and Drivy is growing with every update of the app, as well as our spirit to change the mobility game across the world. When it comes down to it, at Free2Move we believe moving around your city should be effortless, sustainable… and just not so damn complicated. And that’s where YOU come in! We’re always looking for the smartest, best, most innovative people to join our awesome team and make this vision a reality. Are you looking for your next challenge? Then read on, friend.
You want to be part of an agile, cross-functional team focused on designing & implementing scalable and highly-reliable solutions?
The majority of our current backend services are Scala-based, mostly written in a purely functional style based on the Typelevel stack. They are supported by a range of modern technologies, including Redis for caching, RabbitMQ for messaging, MongoDB and PostgreSQL for persistence, etc. This tech stack, of course, is not carved in stone; we are open to any suggestion that might help us improve our daily work.
If you are an expert in these technologies, a veteran dedicated to producing top quality software and find our adventure interesting – then we have a place for you!As a Scala engineer:
- You feel more than comfortable with functional programming, and have gone beyond using just monads
- You have practical experience in developing RESTful services using http4s, Akka HTTP and/or Play
- You have worked on projects that utilize streaming I/O libraries, such as fs2 or Akka Streams
- Deep knowledge of Scala-based testing frameworks, such as ScalaTest and ScalaCheck, is mandatory
- You are at least interested in more advanced Scala libraries, such as cats, shapeless, simulacrum, scalaz, etc.
As a software engineer in general:
- You have passion for microservices (both RESTful and message-based) and API-first development approach
- You are capable of making architectural decisions that will result in scalable, reliable, and performant systems
- You have a solid understanding of clean coding principles, functional and enterprise design patterns, and test-driven development
- You don’t run away from documenting services under your supervision
- You are a team player and you’re able to give as well as receive feedback
- You have practical experience with build automation, continuous delivery, scripting, etc.
Also nice to have:
- Experience in developing applications for cloud platforms, namely Kubernetes and AWS
- Experience with, or interest in, modern software development approaches, such as reactive programming, CQRS, DDD, etc.
- Experience in working with containers, service meshes, API gateways, service directories and similar technologies that make working with microservices a bit less painful
- An active GitHub account
Welcome to the circle of trust
Our people make us who we are, so as a Free2Movester you’ll benefit from these (and more) values:
- Flat hierarchies. No chain of command to pass your ideas up.
- A super friendly, super international team.
- Room and encouragement to bring your own ideas. No question is too stupid!
- A bright airy office in central Berlin. You like soft drink fridges, fruit baskets, fancy hand soaps? We’ve got ‘em.
- Your very own buddy to help you settle in, help you with paperwork and show you the good lunch spots.
- Up to 30 days holiday. You deserve it.
- The opportunity to contribute to an amazing product you’ll love.
Sounds like you? Apply now. We are looking forward to getting to know you!