Privacy Counsel – Commercial (German-speaking)
Staffbase is a multi-channel enterprise SaaS platform that helps HR and Communication leaders to transform their organisations into places where people feel connected and proud to come to work. Staffbase is the first employee experience platform to let employers and employees connect authentically, right through their mobile phones.
We’re headquartered in Chemnitz, Germany, with offices throughout Germany (Berlin, Cologne, Dresden, Leipzig, Munich) and international offices in Amsterdam, New York, London and Vancouver and Kelowna, Canada.
Our international team just crossed 450 happy employees from 35 nationalities and we have a rapidly growing base of customers that want to transform their employee experience. We are rapidly scaling, have strong-growing revenue, and our customers love us.
The Staffbase Legal team is a small but mighty (and growing!) team that works across all departments at Staffbase to guide and grow the business as part of our rapid and international expansion. At Staffbase Legal, our core values are plain language, business acumen, and finding workable and pragmatic solutions to legal problems. We also practice Kaizen, or continuous improvement, and are constantly looking at how we can improve our processes, templates, and policies to improve the experience for our customers and our “Staffpranos” here at Staffbase.
The Staffbase Legal team is mainly based in our Amsterdam office but with team members throughout other locations. For this role, for the right candidate, we are open to having the position in any of our European offices (Germany and Amsterdam preferred). In line with the current pandemic, expectations should be for remote working, however, we plan as a company to have a return to office whenever it’s safe, and the expectation would be for this role to be tied to a specific Staffbase office.
As our Privacy Counsel – Commercial (German-speaking), you’ll be reporting directly into the General Counsel and SVP Compliance based in Amsterdam, as a part of Team Operations at Staffbase. This role is primarily focussed on privacy and data protection work for the DACH market, with a bit of “everything else” that comes up within the business as an in-house lawyer. You’ll get a chance to be an “embedded lawyer” and work closely with our top-notch talent to help build the next generations of Staffbase services, keep us in compliance with industry best practice, and scale for growth.
This role will work closely with our Product and Privacy Counsel, who leads the function at Staffbase, and with our German-speaking commercial counsel. The particular focus for this role is on German and EU data protection laws, and with serving our growing DACH customer base on data protection matters. You’ll work closely with our IT and Security teams, as well as Customer Success and Sales on DPA negotiations, effectively managing security incidents, and proactively positioning Staffbase as a leader in data protection and security.
You’ll get exposure to every level and area of the business, and you’ll have the opportunity to make the role your own based on your interests. Part of the role will be shared responsibility for helping to develop and manage legal processes across the business as we scale for growth. This role requires creative thinking and will collaborate directly with our C-suite execs, product management, developers, and of course our talented sales, customer success and renewals teams.
Finally, the “only constant in a start-up is change”, and so you need to be a self-starter who is comfortable with change, who has a hands-on approach in day-to-day work, and who enjoys a fast pace. Come build something fun with us!
Your tasks include:
- Develop, maintain, and improve German language contract templates that are easy to understand and negotiate;
- Develop and maintain playbooks for Data Processing Agreement (DPA) negotiations;
- Negotiate DPAs with both prospective and existing customers, as well as related clauses in our main commercial agreements;
- Help draft public-facing documentation of our services and technologies in the areas of data protection;
- React quickly to customer questions in the area of data protection and privacy;
- Conduct privacy and product trainings for teams across Staffbase;
- When needed, assist on general commercial contract negotiations or vendor contracts;
- Develop and implement internal privacy programmes alongside your colleagues in Staffbase Legal;
- Update knowledge resources on legal topics for the business, and react quickly to questions from all parts of thee company;
- Keep up-to-date with German, EU, and international legal and regulatory changes impacting SaaS, data protection, and our products;
- Help scale Staffbase for growth by developing innovative legal processes in line with commercial practice in the SaaS industry as well as legal compliance rules and guidelines;
- Enjoy working in a flexible environment where the key metric is “getting things done”;
- Don’t be afraid to buzz the tower.
- Fluent in German and English at a high level.
- Must be able to draft and negotiate legal documents in English and German.
- Experience in commercial contract negotiations.
- Combination of education and training that reflects an understanding of law and legal systems at a high level (such as a university degree in law).
- Qualifications or background in data protection and privacy.
- Experience with working with developers on legal issues.
- Affinity for technology, including using and exploring different technologies.
- Analytical, creative, problem solving and entrepreneurial personality.
- Ability to provide prompt and clear business-focussed legal advice.
- Being comfortable in a fast paced startup environment.
- High communication, negotiation, and project management skills.
- Highly motivated, driven and self-starting individual who loves to work in a diverse and international team.
Great to have:
- Qualified lawyer in at least one jurisdiction. Can discuss if your local licensing requirements prohibit lawyer status while working in house.
- In house legal experience.
- Familiar working with web tools like GSuite, Confluence, and Trello
- IAPP certification (such as CIPP/E)
- SaaS or software industry experience.
- Experience with mobile apps.