Tandem is the leading global language learning community, where 10 million members in over 180 countries practice languages together. The concept of learning from each other is not only an integral part of the Tandem community but it is also at the heart of our everyday lives at Tandem. This shared connection through learning helps us to grow and enhances the language journeys of our members.
We are based in Berlin and are backed by top European investors. We are highly international and driven by a shared passion for languages, technology, and culture. Together, we are on a mission to build a product that not only teaches a new skill but also encourages meaningful cross-cultural conversations.
As a Data Engineer (AI/ML), you will play a crucial part in building and scaling a global consumer product. As our first engineer with a focus on data and in particular machine learning, you will utilize data in new ways to directly improve the experience of our 10 million community members.
What you will do:
- You will build new systems from the ground up, to improve how members on Tandem find their ideal language exchange partners among millions of members.
- Further develop existing systems that help us keep the Tandem community safe and free of abuse. You will further refine existing tools and introduce new ones that leverage machine learning techniques, including natural language processing.
- Solve hard problems for your teammates from Tandem’s product, community and growth teams by working closely with them to invent, build and maintain innovative data-driven solutions.
- As part of our backend team, work closely with fellow engineers to further develop our backend codebase and infrastructure.
- Proactively research usage patterns and identify new opportunities where data can enhance the learning success of our members.
- Clearly communicate findings and solutions through visualization, written communication, presentations and internal tools.
You’re a good fit for this role if you:
- Have at least 3 years of recent experience working on machine learning systems in production.
- Have designed machine learning systems, in particular recommender systems.
- Gained practical experience with AWS SageMaker or similar systems, as well as TensorFlow and Keras or similar. An ML certification from AWS, GCP or a comparable platform is a big plus.
- Bring a strong background in math and quantitative methods in general to the team.
- Are an excellent communicator with strong oral and written communication skills in English, and comfortable to communicate data logic to non-experts.
Our backend stack includes:
Containers, PHP 7.4, Golang and Kotlin. We use many cloud services mainly from AWS but also some from GCP and are passionate supporters of open source.
Life at Tandem
Passion for languages
We’re a team of 24 people speaking 20 languages fluently between us. For those wanting to improve their German (or Denglisch!), you can join one of our German classes on us. We also run regular Spanish, Russian, and German lunches!
Take a deep dive
As a Tandem team member, we’ll give you a budget for up to 6 “Deep Dive Days” per year. Pick a topic you’ve always wanted to explore for your professional development that has never made it out of your backlog. Then book a cabin in the woods or whatever matches your individual learning style.
Teams who train together, stay together
We offer Urban Sports Club gym memberships to boost our team’s physical and mental health. If you prefer, we can contribute to your monthly public transport ticket instead.
It takes a team to Tandem
Bonding with our teammates outside of our normal work routine is important to us. We organize regular team events: from day trips to weekly lunches, to Friday beers, summer BBQs, and board games.
Life isn’t just about work. We know when to snooze Slack notifications, recharge our batteries, and take time out for our personal hobbies. As we’re mostly working from home right now, it’s even more important to be able to switch off from work and relax.
As part of our family-friendly company philosophy, we embrace flexible working hours, welcome families to our events, and love for our kids to visit the office and get a taste of life at Tandem.
Relocation without the stress
If you’re looking to relocate to Berlin, we’re ready to assist you with the infamous German bureaucracy. Many of us have been through it before, so we have plenty of tips to share. You’ll feel settled in no time.
An office that sparks joy
Our open-plan working oasis is located in the heart of Berlin-Mitte. We offer a free choice of IT setup and whatever tech you require. As an added bonus, our kitchen is always fully stocked with free drinks, healthy snacks, and fresh fruit.