Backend Ruby Software Engineer // Contentful
Contentful provides content infrastructure for digital teams to power websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enables developers and content creators to ship their products faster. Companies including Spotify, Red Bull, WeWork, Lyft, and Urban Outfitters rely on Contentful to manage content as part of their modern web stack.
Contentful is growing rapidly, backed by $80 million in funding from VC firms including Benchmark and General Catalyst, and strategic investors including Sapphire Ventures (SAP) and Salesforce Ventures.
We’re a fun team of more than 200 people from 44 nations, with offices in Berlin and San Francisco. Join us!
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Backend Ruby Software Engineer with experience and a strong interest in building web applications and services. You will help design, build, and maintain scalable applications and the API infrastructure for end-to-end solutions which deliver significant value for our enterprise customers.
- Proven experience in developing, deploying and maintaining Rails projects
- You have already worked on, and with, APIs (consuming and emitting) and integrations of third party services (OAuth, payment providers, billing backends)
- You are familiar with SQL and MySQL specifically for live operations
- You are familiar with RabbitMQ or other broker based messaging systems
- You believe in testing the code you write
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbally and written (German is not required), and the ability to maintain empathy and communicate clearly in an office with people from all over the globe
NICE TO HAVE
- Background in computer science, with a focus on data structures, algorithms, and API design
- Working knowledge of data stores such as PostgreSQL, Redis, and DynamoDB
- Having maintained previous sizeable Rails deployments hosted on AWS
- Join an innovative tech company as we help drive the evolution of digital experiences to become ever-more ubiquitous and interactive. Be a part of helping companies build modern architectures for mission-critical applications
- Shape the future of Contentful: help us establish, scale, and improve our team’s processes
- Brush up your language skills! Our team speaks more than 20 languages, and we offer free German classes
- Generous education budget complete with extra days off to be spent on your professional and self-development
- Be set up for success, equipped with the latest and greatest hardware
- Hang-out in one of our many shared spaces, playing games with colleagues or enjoying a full range of events, including workshops, on-site meetups, guest speakers, and fun events for the company and each team. Did we mention an annual off-site?
- As much artisan coffee as you can handle
- Take a break and pat a pup, we are a dog-friendly office
- We fully support your move to Berlin with a relocation budget and visa assistance. We’ll help you settle into your exciting new city
- Sharpen your PlayStation, ping pong, and kicker/fußball skills during breaks in the day
- Plus, Contentful socks, oh yeah!
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or disability. We look forward to your application!