Data Engineer // Highsnobiety
As a Data Engineer, you are in charge of our data warehouse and data pipelines. To support our Data Analysts in the creation of specialized dashboards and reports you manage a diverse set of data sources by utilizing different ETL platforms and building custom connectors. Your mission is to enable our team to make decisions with a 360-degree view of our business and user.
How we work:
Our Highsnobiety Tech/Product organization consists of 4 interdisciplinary and self-organized teams with a total of 30 dedicated employees. Scrum and Kanban are our methods of choice for a transparent and open product management. Every team is continuously delivering software and is closely collaborating with their stakeholders. We organize regular product demos to share our progress, and Hack days to innovate our products. For a transparent and well balanced work culture, the entire department shares their feedback with each other in a monthly retrospective to celebrate successes and to improve methods.
We serve both internal and external users and believe in high standards when building our products. To ensure quality, we apply code reviews, extreme programming methods and test coverage tracking. Also, we follow a “you build it – you run it” approach and deploy our services on Google Cloud Platform using Docker and Kubernetes.
As technology moves fast, it’s key for us to invest in our employees’ growth. We provide access to the best learning platforms, we run tech workshops, organize regular pair-programming sessions with senior developers and we also sponsor conference visits. Scrum is our method of choice for a transparent, open and self-organized product and project management.
- Identify opportunities for leveraging audience and business data in collaboration with the Commerce, Audience Development and Product team
- Define relevant KPIs & implement required tracking to derive analytical insights for different departments
- Evolve dashboards & reporting
- Drive testing initiatives utilizing best practices for set-up and data collection
- Grow our data warehouse and connect a wide range of data sources
- Perform ad-hoc analysis as needed
- 3+ years relevant experience in a data science, data engineering or back-end engineering role
- Experience in building and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Experience in operating multiple databases/data warehouses
- Strong knowledge of SQL, relational database systems (e.g. PostgreSQL), column-based databases (e.g. BigQuery) and stream based systems (e.g. Kafka)
- Knowledge of Ruby, Elixir, Python or R are a big plus
- Ability to synthesize data from multiple sources and strong data visualization skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working with cleaning and organizing data and presenting it in informative ways
- Experience with E-Commerce and/or publishing/social media data is a big plus
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, creative & self-starter attitude
What we offer:
- High-profile clients and versatile projects
- Support and mentoring by the core platform development team
- Broad spectrum of technological challenges
- Freedom to experiment and work with cutting edge technologies
- Pair programming, hack days, internal talks, growth budget and conference visits
- The unique entrepreneurial opportunity to pro-actively shape a company and help build a global brand
- Motivating, international and creative work atmosphere
- High degree of responsibility
- Competitive compensation (incl. visa/relocation support)
- Attractive employee benefits (e.g. company events, sport courses, German classes, various discounts)
We are a multi-media, global entertainment brand that inspires young men to lead their most stylish and culturally relevant lives by covering news and trends in fashion, sneakers, music, art and entertainment. Reaching 10+ million men each month, Highsnobiety is both an influential AND fast growing, award winning media company.
As a digital-first media company with a global reach and a mindset to match, technology is obviously an integral part of our success story. We’re excited by the potential publishing has in the digital age. Every day we challenge what it means to be a digital publisher, exploring innovative storytelling concepts and formats for the web. From employing data mining to connect e-commerce with our industry-leading content, to changing the known content experience on mobile with unusual yet intuitive navigation concepts, at every stage we’re driven by our commitment to deliver an outstanding product to our readers.
Sounds exciting? Go ahead, send us your application and we talk soon!