At Alloy, we work with consumer goods companies that make the products we eat, wear, and use every day, as well as the ones we occasionally splurge on. We’re tackling a real and complex problem for them—managing supply and demand in the face of constantly changing customer behavior, highly complex supply chain networks, 40-year-old data standards and labor-intensive manual processes.
Alloy is a fast-growing, well-funded startup with expanding offices across the world. Our team hails from successful startups, leading tech companies and Fortune 100 enterprises. We believe deeply in fostering individual ownership, iterating to excellence, focusing on what matters, communicating openly & respectfully, and supporting one another.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Alloy is committed to creating an inclusive culture, and we celebrate diversity of all kinds.
About the role
Our customers rely on Alloy for tasks ranging from daily tasks like managing retail sales regionally to strategic product portfolio planning at the company level. To make this possible, engineers at Alloy work on modelling the supply chain, improving our sales forecasting algorithms, and building intuitive, beautiful applications that facilitate the work for sales, product marketing, demand planning, and supply chain professionals. We are looking for an engineering team lead to join our Berlin team.
Engineering leads at Alloy are both managers and hands-on contributors. Leads at Alloy have strong interpersonal skills – they listen, help individuals become better engineers, promote opportunities for new leaders, and seek consensus where possible and are assertive when necessary.
Leads at Alloy are hands-on – they’re strong engineers who are either full-stack or have unique domain expertise in one or more areas, and level up the team in terms of their own contributions as well.
The responsibilities of an Engineering Lead at Alloy range from line management of 3-6 person teams, running weekly 1:1s with the team, and regular performance reviews, and hiring into their team. The leads work with product managers to plan out work on high-level deliverables and making sure that those deliverables are shipped as planned.
We strongly believe that our best possible work is not done in isolation in just engineering, so you’ll get to know people with in-depth industry experience in our product, design and client solutions teams, not to mention top engineers from across the world. If this sounds exciting, this could be the role for you.
- You’re an active listener and regularly solicit perspectives from others to inform the best possible outcomes.
- You enjoy solving ambiguous problems that range from planning bulky, roadmap-level items to tracking down obscure bugs.
- You’re an expert at managing multiple workstreams and efficiently prioritize work based on most valuable outcomes.
- You care deeply about best practices for code quality, automation, and testing.
- You have a genuine desire to help other engineers via mentorship, pairing, reviews.
- You have experience in recruiting and interviewing engineering candidates.
- You have experience in or are excited about learning one or more of the following: Java 14+, Postgres, Python 3, React, Redux, CSS3, TypeScript, Google Cloud Platform, BigQuery, PubSub, Kubernetes, Terraform, Docker.
As a plus,
- You have technical leadership experience, and are still hands-on.
- You have domain expertise in building analytics or supply chain software.
You’ll be a great fit at Alloy if:
- The real world and its complexity are fascinating to you. You’re innately curious about how products reach consumers efficiently and sustainably.
- You are a doer – when you see a problem that needs to be tackled, you deliver incrementally and plan ahead. You have an appetite for learning and embrace ambiguity; you don’t easily give up.
- You enjoy working with others to identify the highest-priority engineering work and build solutions that you’re proud of.
- Asynchronous communication is second nature to you. You express complex ideas in an easy-to-understand and respectful manner – both in spoken and written language.
- You enjoy uplifting others and taking risks together. Learning about and promoting engineering best practices excites you.
- You enjoy actively contributing to an inclusive and high-performing engineering culture that will attract more world-class talent just like yourself.
- You have experience or are excited about learning one or more of the technologies we use.
There’s a good chance we didn’t get this right! Like with many other things in life, this job description is a work in progress. We’d love to hear from you and what would make you a great fit in our engineering team!
What you’ll get for joining:
- Base salary 85k – 135k EUR
- Substantial equity package
- 25 days of vacation per year
- Support from highly experienced mentors
- Genuine and welcoming teammates
- Flexible, low-bureaucracy culture
Our engineering culture emphasizes code reviews, mentorship, and collaboration. We foster individual ownership of engineering work across the team and lean on each others’ strengths when needed. We strive to write clear, extensible code that your colleagues love to read and keep the bug backlog in check. We focus heavily on promoting best practices for code quality, automation, and testing.
Technologies we use
Java 14+, PostgreSQL, Python 3, TypeScript, jOOQ, Dropwizard, AutoValue, Guava, React, Redux, Redis, SASS, Jest, Cypress, Google Cloud Platform, BigQuery, BigTable, PubSub, Kubernetes (GKE), Terraform, Containers (e.g. Docker).
Focus on what matters: Reevaluate priorities as necessary to pick the work that will have the highest impact to the customer and business. Work hard in a way that is sustainable. Choose the schedule that lets you achieve your best. Measure results, not hours. Respect your time and that of others; come prepared and leave with commitments.
Take ownership: Take initiative by proactively identifying opportunities or issues and tackling them. Strive for excellence. Hold yourself and your colleagues to a high standard. Create something that makes you proud. Follow through on our commitments to customers, users, and each other. We are all doers, regardless of role — no task is beneath you.
Iterate to excellence: Prefer action over perfection to learn quickly from early feedback. Be flexible and accept the need to make tradeoffs and change directions. Everything is a work in progress, nothing is done. Question prevailing assumptions, but understand them first. Gather evidence and champion ideas that will make our products and our company better. Verify and validate.
Communicate openly and respectfully: Offer and expect transparency to build trust. Confirm mutual understanding, especially in the face of disagreement. Treat each other with respect. Criticize constructively — the work, not the person.
Have each other’s back: When interacting with each other, always assume good intentions. Trust each other and take risks together. Give praise generously and take joy in others’ accomplishments. Grow a diverse team by actively seeking different backgrounds and cultivating an inclusive culture. Focus on how others’ strengths compliment us, rather than how their weaknesses invalidate them.
At the moment, we do not offer visa sponsorship for this position.