Engineering Manager – Backend Platform
Who we are
If you are looking to have an impact on the world, then read carefully because at Choco, we are moving mountains to transition the world’s food systems to become more sustainable. The food industry is an industry with essential problems, especially in food-supply-chain. We leverage technology to build the digital platform on which the global food trade will operate. We have the potential to reduce food prices, decrease food waste by 30%.
In 2018 we entered the market with our chat-based ordering app and had drastically changed the way businesses work and order with their suppliers. Our founders have helped build companies such as Zalando (IPO’d), Lazada (sold to Alibaba) and Foodora (sold to DeliveryHero). We recently raised one of the largest Series A funding rounds in European history.
Technology is at the core of our work. We are product-minded builders, architects, coders, bug-hunters and designers. We deliver the needed change via our mobile and web apps using cutting-edge tools, modern engineering practices and always keeping software quality on our radar. Of course, it’s not only about working with top-notch tools but keep hiring excellent engineers too.
Join us in leading the world’s transition to sustainable food systems.
What you will do
Here at Choco, we like to use the space shuttle as a metaphor for our engineering work. Now, you will join and help us bring the shuttle to the moon. Your main objective will be to build a platform that enables feature squads to autonomously develop, test, deploy and operate their stack in a secure and reliable way. You will do this by ensuring that our systems are stable, reliable, operations are visible, deployment pipelines are in place, and teams have the necessary environments and tooling to ship efficiently and fast. You will work together with DevOps engineers and backend developers in your team, while also interacting with product managers and developers from other squads.
- You will take ownership for the Infrastructure technical planning and roadmap, defining key projects and keeping your team on track.
- Work together with cross-functional feature teams. Educate and enable frontend, backend, mobile and QA engineering areas with infrastructure.
- Ensure your team members are aligned, performant, fulfilled and continuously develop both technically and personally via One on Ones.
- Drive and deliver complex long-term, large-scale, cross-team projects and contribute to technical strategy.
- Review code and occasionally contribute to the core code-base
- Actively take part in interviewing and hiring top engineers for your own and other teams
Our teach stack
We have a cutting-edge environment and use NodeJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, AWS DynamoDB and our infrastructure is powered by AWS SNS, AWS SQS, AWS Lambda, AWS AppSync, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodePipeline and AWS S3.
What you will need to have an impact with us
- Strong backend and infrastructure technical excellence and 8+ years of experience in the field
- Good people management, team leading, interviewing skills and building a healthy engineering culture. You have led teams of 4-10 people in the past 3+ years.
- Experience in designing and building complex microservices, event-driven architecture, integrations and developing APIs
- Proven experience in building resilient and scalable cloud infrastructure with AWS, following modern DevOps/SRE practices
- Very strong knowledge in system designs and software architectures
- Ability to drive and deliver large features and projects spanning across multiple sprints with significant business impact
- Strong communication skills combined with influence and eagerness to share and develop others
You will impress us even more if you have
- Experience with GraphQL or AppSync
- Experience working with Lambda functions and serverless architecture
- Experience with DynamoDB
- Experience with CloudFormation
- Experience building real-time communication services
What it’s like to be a Chocorian
You will join a company filled with smart, humble and hard-working people. We are a start-up where people put the team first, deeply trust each other, take ownership and truly understand what they are working for day by day.
You will join a group of people from all around the world who share their experiences and contribute in their areas of expertise and learn from each other.
You will join a passionate team that shares the same values and vision, a circle of friends that not only works hard but also laughs with- and cheers for each other.
With that said, it is absolutely crucial to find people who share this with us and who deeply identify themselves with the values of a Chocorian.