Frontend Engineer – Design System Lead
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world\’s largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 20 million users have planted over 137 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for an experienced Frontend Engineer to lead the engineering of our Design System team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join us in Berlin and become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of people.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Guide the development and evolution of our Design System across devices.
- Make sure the Design System team has all the conditions to be effective: enable them to continuously implement and ship; plan and handle priorities, support everyone’s learning and professional growth.
- Advocate for best practices whilst designing innovative frontend architecture keeping it lean, scalable, and modular.
- Supervise and facilitate decisions in collaboration with our designers, engineers, product managers, and across teams.
- Advise engineering and design management on technical strategies and external partnerships.
- Contribute to our Design System in code or with system design.
- Grow and support other engineers in collaboration with our engineering managers.
- Support us to build accessible, inclusive, and delightful products for our users worldwide.
YOUR AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE:
- Experience planning and developing Design Systems.
- 4+ years experience as Frontend Engineer and worked with a component-driven framework, e.g., Vue.js or React. Currently Vue.js is used at Ecosia. Check our Tech Radar for more information.
- Extensive knowledge in collaborating with design teams (UX, visual design)
- You have your users at heart and have a good understanding of Web accessibility (a11y), performance, and user experience.
- You can guide a team in maintaining good software quality and understand the basics of user testing methods.
- You share our core values and ways of working.
- Fluent spoken and written English (German is not required).
- You are located in or willing to relocate to Berlin, Germany.
THE HIRING PROCESS:
- First call with Recruiter (30-45min)
- Short assignment you can do in your own time (60-120min)
- Technical interview with two members of our team (60min)
- Pair programming session and presentation (120min)
- Non -technical interview with one of our Engineering Managers and a Designer Lead (30min)
- According to your preference, some of the stages can be combined to reduce time.