Machine Learning Engineer // JustWatch
JustWatch is an international movie marketing startup based in Berlin. Founded in October 2014 by an experienced and successful team with world-class knowledge in marketing, product and AdTech we are constantly looking for passionate people to join our mission.
JustWatch offers data-driven movie marketing for the film industry. Based on user data from justwatch.com and our apps – by now the largest streaming search engine worldwide – we run data-driven digital marketing campaigns for Hollywood’s latest blockbusters as well as for independent movies.
Who we are looking for:
Curiosity, drive and passion are shared characteristics of all people at JustWatch and we are looking for these values in every person we are hiring. We only want people who are willing to constantly learn through challenging themselves and others. All of us also love to get things done and strongly believe in “done is better than perfect”. Dedication to software craftsmanship and a drive for elegant and simple solutions come in a close second.
In addition, for this particular role we are looking for:
- A Machine Learning Engineer who helps us building one of the best recommendations systems worldwide
- A personality motivated by a clear focus on engineering and prototyping rather than just research and analysis
- Willingness to take responsibility for repeatable results on a software product in a highly dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
- An Engineering background with solid Backend skills (at least Python). Experience with Pytorch or Tensorflow and a background in deep nets is appreciated but not strictly needed. Recommendations are a wide field with areas in Reinforcement Learning, Collaborative Filtering, Contextual Bandits, NLP, vision and much more, so we welcome any background and are searching for (future) generalists rather than specialists.
- Skills around the linux command line including basic networking and web technologies
- Experience with some SQL data stores
- Solid code craftsmanship including great communication and writing code to be read by others
- A practical view towards technology, sensibly choosing between cutting-edge tech and stable, boring solutions
- Fluent in English, ability to work onsite in Berlin
- You’ll prototype ideas, analyze results, operate large-scale machine learning systems, and work closely together with a small team of highly talented people
- You will take responsibility for your KPIs, projects and systems, working in an embedded fashion with Product and Engineering teams
- You’re good at looking at the whole picture, thinking around the corner systematically and smartly combine ideas, knowing that often times, the biggest lever is not in a smarter algorithm, but in a simple UX change
- You should be motivated by shipping something scalable, as we don’t consider a prediction task done until it’s running in production for all our 10 million users
- You do care about clean craft, good tooling, metrics though to fit your solutions into our 12factor Kubernetes stack, deploying it with ChatOps, which is fun
- You’re experienced wrangling data from all kinds of sources – JSON / CSV / ProtoBuf / REST / SOAP -> you’ve seen and debugged through your share of dirty and unreliable third party data
- You have an eye for simplicity and constantly try to make complex things happening in the background easy and approachable to users, baking them into readable code
- You will become part of a passionate, professional and friendly team while getting first-hand experience in building a world-leading tech company
- High speed, low friction: You’ll own the roadmap, deliverables and milestones – and directly lead a small commando team without any heavy management processes in between
- A steep learning curve: You will work directly with and learn from Dominik who is an expert in machine learning technology
- A challenging environment with an open feedback culture and a strong focus on personal development
- Lots of room for personal development, freedom and responsibility
- You will have access to an experienced founder team with an international track record in building successful tech companies
Sounds like you? Great, we’d like to meet you. Just send us a short mail that gives us an idea of what motivates you, why you want to work at JustWatch and how you think you will help us to achieve our goals. We are not interested in a perfect CV, or letters of recommendation. We just want to know who you are and who you want to become!
Apply now to [email protected]! We are very much looking forward to meeting you.