Reliability Engineer – Infrastructure // Contentful
Contentful provides content infrastructure for digital teams to power websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enables developers and content creators to ship their products faster. Companies including Spotify, Red Bull, WeWork, Lyft, and Urban Outfitters rely on Contentful to manage content as part of their modern web stack.
Contentful is growing rapidly, backed by $80 million in funding from VC firms including Benchmark and General Catalyst, and strategic investors including Sapphire Ventures (SAP) and Salesforce Ventures.
We’re a fun team of more than 200 people from 44 nations, with offices in Berlin and San Francisco. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
The goal of the Infrastructure Reliability team is to provide a highly available platform so that we can meet our SLAs for performance and uptime with a high volume traffic and sustained growth.
Contentful’s customers run a wide range of deployments that consume our API. Our microservice architecture needs to be highly available and provide consistent performance, with the challenge of customers generating diverse sets of workloads depending on their own data structure and usage patterns, along with significant growth in traffic.
We manage a modern stack starting from CDNs at the outer layer to a microservices based backend architecture running on Kubernetes in the AWS Cloud. The team is focused on improving the resilience and performance of this stack.
- Experience in building, scaling and managing production web services
- Ability to quickly dive into new languages, frameworks and APIs
- Already maintained non-trivial production deployments in the cloud (especially AWS), preferably using orchestration tools (we mainly use Terraform).
- Experience working with Container Orchestration tools (we use Kubernetes)
- You get stuff done. We are looking for someone we can trust to do a good job without much hand holding – you enjoy responsibility
- Strong English communication skills, verbal and written (German not required).
We know that people come with different profiles, and strong candidates may have experience with 1 or more of the below points.
- Familiarity with operations: metrics/statistics, incident management, post mortems etc.
- Deep knowledge of data stores such as PostgreSQL, Redis, S3 and MySQL.
- Building and operating Microservices
- Scaling distributed systems.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Stack including networking/routing, load-balancing and caching/CDNs
Even if you don’t think you can “tick all the boxes” above, you should apply and leave it to us to decide.
What can you expect?
- Work with an experienced engineering management team
- Join an innovative tech company as we help drive the evolution of digital experiences to become ever-more ubiquitous and interactive
- Shape the future of Contentful: help us establish, scale, and improve our team’s processes
- Generous education budget complete with extra days off to be spent on your professional and self-development
- Be set up for success, equipped with the latest and greatest hardware
- Hang-out in one of our many shared spaces, playing games with colleagues or enjoying a full range of events, including workshops, on-site meetups, guest speakers, and fun events for the company and each team. Did we mention an annual off-site?
- As much artisan coffee as you can handle
- Brush up your language skills! Our team speaks more than 20 languages, and we offer free German classes
- Take a break and pat a pup, we are a dog-friendly office
- We fully support your move to Berlin with a relocation budget and visa assistance. We’ll help you settle into your exciting new city
- Plus, Contentful socks, oh yeah!
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or disability. We look forward to your application!