Senior Backend Engineer (f/m/d)
You’ll work on the backend of Hive, the operations brain for Direct To Consumer (DTC) brands.
→ You’ll join our growing engineering team (~15 people) to work on our Rails backend, powering both our customer-facing user portal and our Warehouse Management System.
Depending on which features you work on, you might:
- Perfect the Warehouse Management System of the future – coming up with ways to make picking and packing more efficient, allocate inventory among different warehouses in a smart way, or enable better handling of the complex packaging and bundling needs of our clients.
- Create a best-in-class web app for our clients – allowing them to see which items they need to reorder, put orders on hold, or give instructions for dealing with return shipments.
- Transform the post-purchase experience for end customers – build out our End Customer App to allow customers to upgrade their shipping service, print return labels or re-order products – and provide data on these interactions to our merchants in an easily digestible form, to help them perfect their shop experience.
- Design a supply chain experience the way it’s meant to be. Work on delivering a best in class end-to-end experience, starting with sourcing — optimizing freight, inventory distribution, and transparency along the supply chain.
We know — sometimes, you can’t tick every box. We would still love to hear from you if you think you’re a good fit!
→ You’ve done this before. You’ve written complex applications and systems in Ruby on Rails before
→ Builder at heart. Creating from scratch excites you. Figuring out how to solve problems is one of your favorite activities. Building, scaling, and rapidly iterating upon software is what keeps you going
→ You care about quality. You champion and deliver rigorously tested, documented, and maintainable code — you know how much time it’ll save you down the line
→ It’s about systems. Perfect software is not the only thing — you care about the business impact of your products, and make trade-offs when necessary
→ You want to learn and grow. You want to grow personally and professionally, and you figure out which tools and technologies will help Hive grow
- You have experience with RSpec for writing specs
- You bring along deep knowledge of OOP and Test-Driven-Development
- Proven track record of implementing e-commerce integrations like Shopify, SendCloud, Billbee or WooCommerce
- Experience in building Warehouse Management Software (WMS)
→ Ruby on Rails on the backend. Our backend services are all written in Rails — it allowed us to get going and keep iterating quickly
→ React + TypeScript on the Frontend. Our frontend applications are written in React and TypeScript, we mainly use styled-componentsfor styling and are using Tailwind on a new app we bootstrapped
→ Modern tooling. Code is hosted on GitHub, error reporting handled in Sentry, Vercel for hosting and deploying our frontend services and AWS for the backend infrastructure, Linear used for issue tracking, we design in Figma, analyze with Segment and June.so, have Notion as our internal wiki, and use Slack for internal communication. Our marketing websites are built with Webflow.
- Join the Hive. Be part of a team of highly motivated and talented people who enjoy what they do and care about doing excellent work, while also having each others’ backs when the sh*t hits the fan.
- Work from anywhere. The tech team at Hive is remote-first, meaning that we hold almost all meetings via video-call. While many of us enjoy coming to the office to whiteboard or have a beer/club mate together, our remote-first setup allows us to work together with great people both inside and outside Berlin (as long as the timezone is within +/- 3 hours of Berlin).
- You’ll be valued. We are a tech-driven company, and our software is a large part of what sets us apart from the competition. Your contribution will be rewarded accordingly, as we offer attractive compensation packages (salary + equity).
- Take ownership and work close to the business. At Hive, you’ll be collaborating closely with teammates from operations or customer experience to discover together how best to solve our (and most importantly, our customers’) problems with code.
- Enjoy a high-quality developer experience. We recognise that keeping tech debt at sustainably low levels (by writing readable, maintainable, well-tested code) and enabling engineers to use their time effectively (by having user-friendly and fast CI and deployment pipelines, as well as proper monitoring and error logging) is an investment in our productivity and happiness.
- We’ll get you set up. New tech equipment that you need, IDEs, mechanical keyboards, screens, you name it — we want you to do your best work.
- There’s more! Enjoy flexible working hours, free drinks in our office in the heart of Berlin-Mitte, and join regular team events.
We provide logistics made for tomorrow.
Better e-commerce operations — fast, transparent, and affordable.
Hive’s mission is to digitize logistics for e-commerce merchants, enabling businesses to run their operations on autopilot. Hive is the operational brain for D2C brands, taking on order fulfillment, shipping, returns, and more for a wide range of companies and product categories. We help enable fast-growing brands such as Yepoda, Ela Mo, and Holy Energy to grow.
Backed by acclaimed global investors including EarlyBird, TigerGlobal, Picus Capital, and Activant, we are rapidly expanding our pan-European network with our newly opened fulfillment center and office in Paris, and Milan, Madrid, and London in the pipeline.
Hive is logistics for the future.
We question the conventional way of doing things and aim to push boundaries in all areas. Hive focuses on changing the way e-commerce fulfillment is done and strives toward creating the most advanced and sustainable solutions in the logistics field, enabling our customers to keep growing while keeping them close to the customer.
At Hive, we believe fostering diversity in every team makes us a stronger company overall. We do not discriminate based on religion, skin color, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability, and encourage applications from all backgrounds. We strive to create an inclusive workplace where everyone feels encouraged to be their true self and to grow professionally.