Senior Backend Engineer (f/m/x)
In short: Full-time position based in Berlin or remote. Generous stock options in the company. We are building a phone plan you’ll love.
😍 We are Gigs
- Gigs is a telecom as a service. We are building Stripe for SIM cards.
- Providing platforms custom phone & data plans through an easy to use API in 200+ countries.
- For consumers, Gigs makes it super simple to subscribe to and manage a phone plan with a few clicks. A phone plan you’ll love to use yourself. Easy, transparent & global connectivity for your smartphone, smartwatch or IoT device.
- See immediate results of your work. Our large-scale integrations mean huge adoption within a short time. We obsess about the needs of our partners and their end customers to build a best-in-industry experience.
- We are backed by the investors behind Stripe, Dropbox, Airbnb, Facebook, Spotify & Plaid. As part of Gigs you will have access to the teams, resources and support from any company we work with. We count on a team of world-class advisors and investors that can help us in tricky situations.
- We just completed the Y Combinator W21 batch.
🔧 The position
- You will build the core of Gigs products, services, and APIs in a spectacularly robust fashion.
- You will directly communicate with the founders and be part of the core team.
- You will build and integrate APIs and services and work with our partners to launch new markets, connectivity methods, and capabilities.
- You will establish and improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
👟 About you
→ We know that perfect candidates don’t exist. Even if not all of this applies to you, we’d love to learn more about you. 🦄
- You enjoy and have experience conceptualizing and building back-end solutions & APIs. You enjoy thinking about systems and services and write high quality code.
- You’ve built and maintained API driven platforms with high user volumes. You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- You enjoy building a product from scratch. This means high involvement in the design process and understanding customer wants. It also means that you enjoy taking technical decisions.
- You love learning technologies as you go. You always want to find the right tool for the job; and don’t only follow what you already know.
- You care about more than just engineering quality. Whatever you do, needs to have business impact. You can make trade-offs between speed and quality.
🌱 Our offer
- Salary matching your experience and market value.
- Generous stock options: We want everybody to be a true owner in Gigs (tax free until exercised).
- Full-time contract.
- Visa sponsorship is available and your relocation will be covered.
🎁 Our benefits
- 25 paid vacation days per year (PTO).
- The best phone plan in the world, built by you.
- Flexible working hours: We use meetings when needed and not per default.
- Get your perfect setup: Mac/Windows/Linux, Mechanical Keyboard, Plugins, IDE. We are flexible and cover whatever you need to do the best work of your life.
- A workplace built for remote work: We are building Gigs as a remote-friendly company. You can join us in Berlin, or work from wherever you like. If you are based in Berlin, you can work from our office, or from the comfort of your home.
- Make a big difference: Take, own and implement decisions to build Gigs from scratch.
- Company health insurance policy (in case you are not from Germany and were wondering how it works over here).
🤔 Our process
The starting date is as soon as possible. However, we are willing to wait for the right candidate. And will do everything to accommodate your needs.
You’ll walk through four stages:
1. Get to know each other: We use this to pitch Gigs and get you excited to join. We’ll also use this chance to see whether both our expectations align.
2. Meet the team: You’ll get to meet our team members. We value team fit over everything else. This also gives you the chance to see whether you’d enjoy working with us.
3. Technical assessment: You will send us a piece of code you’ve written before (can be a pet project or a code challenge). We’ll use that to have a conversation about which decisions you’ve taken and why.
4. Final conversation: The team and you are going to chat more about the position, what you value, what you took away from the interviews so far, and whatever is on your mind.
We are mindful of your time: Going through all stages can be done within one week. Once you’ve passed them all we will extend a formal offer.
You can also speak to one of our investors. We want to give you as many insights into us as possible. We see this as a truly two-sided decision.
👋 How to apply
Just apply here.
Now, let’s hear it! 🚀🥳