(Senior) Backend Engineer (m/f/x)
UP42 is changing the way geospatial data is accessed and analyzed. The developer platform and marketplace bring together multiple sources of data such as satellite imagery, weather data, and more—with algorithms to identify objects, detect change, and find patterns. Industry leaders use UP42 to inform business decisions and build scalable customer solutions.
UP42 is experiencing a rapid growth, and we are currently looking to expand our product teams with more engineers. While we do have priorities in terms of what specific team to assign new members to, during job interviews we will still take into account your skills and inclinations, and make a decision based on that.
We are looking for a (Senior) Backend Engineer (m/f/x) to join our motivated team in Berlin.
About the role:
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java/Kotlin code
- Work closely alongside product, UX and front end development team to design and implement new product features
- Help maintain code quality, organisation, and automation
- Contribute to continuous delivery and test-driven development
- Contribute to the highly efficient agile development process
- Contribute to engineering best practices, processes and share your knowledge mentoring more junior engineers or pairing with your colleagues
- Contribute to the daily tech-related operations; evolve the platform architecture (based on Spring Boot, Kubernetes, Terraform, Google Cloud Platform)
- Support application deployments and infrastructure
- Several years of experience in software design and development, preferably in a web-service environment; excellent knowledge in designing and building public API solutions
- Delivery of platform architecture (microservices / software, architecture and API design)
- Proven track record delivering high availability architectures including load balancing, fault-tolerance, and cloud computing (infrastructure as code, configuration management systems)
- Experience designing, deploying and maintaining cloud-based environments (Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Knowledge of Spring ecosystem (strongly preferred)
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus
- Fluency in English is a must
- The chance to shape the state of the art geospatial processing platform and create a completely new planetary perspective
- Modern office with everything you need to enjoy your work in the heart of Kreuzberg
- Inspiring international team, fun and productive environment
- Competitive salary package and other perks such as yoga lessons, Headspace subscription, public transportation discount, German classes, discounted Urban Sports Club membership, and counseling support.
- Regular team events, team updates and get-togethers
- Development budget: we help you grow as you grow UP42!
- Challenges, space for creativity and taking ownership
Does this sound like a good next step into your geospatial career? If so, we look forward to receiving your application in English.
Our culture is one of belonging, where everyone feels welcome and where differences are celebrated. We seek to recruit the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background and/or belief—and strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We also value more than the skills and experiences outlined in this job description. Even if you think you only fill 60% of the requirements for this role – we would still like to consider your application.