(Senior) Data Engineer
Tandem is the leading global language learning community, where 10 million members in over 180 countries practice languages together. The concept of learning from each other is not only an integral part of the Tandem community but it is also at the heart of our everyday lives at Tandem. This shared connection through learning helps us to grow and enhances the language journeys of our members.
We are based in Berlin and are backed by top European investors. We are highly international and driven by a shared passion for languages, technology, and culture. Together, we are on a mission to build a product that not only teaches a new skill but also encourages meaningful cross-cultural conversations.
Your role will be to:
- Further refine the data engineering layer built to serve across all teams at Tandem (product, growth, marketing, design, engineering)
- Our main technology stack currently includes Snowflake, Python, GCP, AWS Lambda, AWS DMS, dbt, Metabase, and Jupyter Notebooks. If you’re looking for a place to grow and contribute to the language learning ecosystem, come join us
- Work along with our ML Engineers & Data Analysts to support the Data Strategy
- Report directly to the Head of Data & Analytics and own the data engineering function
You are the right fit for the role if you:
- Have a degree in a quantitative discipline: statistics, operations research, computer science, informatics, engineering, applied mathematics, economics, etc.
- Have solid experience with SQL (we’re using MySQL/Google Big Query / Snowflake / dbt)
- Have solid programming skills in Python
- Have experience with AWS services (EC2, Lambda) or similar services from GCP or Azure
- Have working experience with version control and CI/CD (Git/GitHub/GitLab)
- Have expertise with Bash/Linux scripting
- Can perform all of the necessary data transformations to serve products that empower data-driven decision making
- Can implement, integrate and document performant systems or components for data flows or applications that power analysis at scale
- Can ensure best practices and standards in our data ecosystem are shared across teams
- Understand the analytical objectives to make logical recommendations and drive informed actions
- Enjoy working fast-paced. You love the speed of and impact you have in startups. Conversely you never, ever want to be a tiny cog in a gigantic machine.
- Are an open-minded learner. You live to learn new things, like staying up to date on new technologies, tools, and techniques. You are inspired by what people inside and outside Tandem know and are eager to incorporate the world’s knowledge into your work.
- Have experience with data modeling, ETL concepts, and patterns for efficient data governance
- Have a proven track record of building and maintaining Data warehouses in an industry context
- Have the communication skills to present technical approaches, proofs of concept, data model and their impact to a broad range of stakeholders
Nice to have/Bonus:
- Are familiar with the mobile app and marketing ecosystem, for example attribution, performance, event tracking and behavioral analytics, user segmentation, subscriptions and payment analytics
- Experience with container-based environments (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Experience with Terraform
Passion for languages
We’re a team of 34 people speaking 20 languages fluently between us. For those wanting to improve their German (or Denglisch!), you can join one of our German classes on us.
Take a deep dive
As a Tandem team member, we’ll give you a budget for up to 6 “Deep Dive Days” per year. Pick a topic you’ve always wanted to explore for your professional development that has never made it out of your backlog. Then book a cabin in the woods or whatever matches your individual learning style.
Teams who train together, stay together
We offer Urban Sports Club gym memberships to boost our team’s physical and mental health. If you prefer, we can contribute to your monthly public transport ticket instead.
It takes a team to Tandem
Bonding with our teammates outside of our normal work routine is important to us. We organize regular team events: from day trips to regular lunches, to Friday beers, summer BBQs, and board games.
Life isn’t just about work. We know when to snooze Slack notifications, recharge our batteries, and take time out for our personal hobbies. As we’re mostly working from home right now, it’s even more important to be able to switch off from work and relax.
As part of our family-friendly company philosophy, we embrace flexible working hours, welcome families to our events, and love for our kids to visit the office and get a taste of life at Tandem.
Relocation without the stress
If you’re looking to relocate to Berlin, we’re ready to assist you with the infamous German bureaucracy. Many of us have been through it before, so we have plenty of tips to share. You’ll feel settled in no time.
One size doesn’t fit all
Nowadays, we’re all about a flexible and modern approach to working. Whether you’d like to work from our office in the heart of Berlin-Mitte, from the comfort of your home, or even a mixture of both, we’ll contribute to your work setup.