Senior DevOps Engineer // Chatterbug
Chatterbug is building the Internet’s best way to learn a language by empowering those who speak languages: Humans! Humans build our curriculum, teach our students how to speak in one-on-one lessons, and now we are looking a few more humans to help run our systems.
Check us out at https://chatterbug.com.
About the job:
Speed and accountability are two values our engineering team cares about deeply. Chatterbug is growing and looking for an engineer who prides themselves in taking ownership of the infrastructure that helps us scale not only with our user base but our team as well. Given that we ingest, transform and serve a large amount of video, our infrastructure comes with a unique set of challenges which are difficult and rare, yet rewarding to solve.
As we introduce new languages, enterprise offerings, mobile applications and explore strategic integrations and partnerships, we anticipate the complexity and scale of our systems to increase over the next year. As the first devops engineer on the team, you’ll join as an early employee at one of the most exciting times in our company’s history.
The heart of our service is a Rails 5.2 application “monolith”, and not a disjointed series of services. On the backend side, we use many tools, including:
- PostgreSQL 10 via Heroku
- Fastly and Netlify for static content serving and caching
- TokBox, Twilio and OpenVidu for video/WebRTC services
- Travis CI for running our Ruby and JS test suites
- Sauce Labs combined with Rails’ system testing for real browser tests
- AWS services including: S3, Polly, AWS ML
- Cluvio and Mode to help analyze and present data to our business and marketing teams
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you’ll architect and manage the infrastructure behind Chatterbug to help make our services run smoothly. On a given day you could be tracing a Live Lesson’s logs and graphs to determine why a tutor’s connection suddenly went haywire, building a new piece of infrastructure to allow us to support more students in the future, and more.
You’re a multi-talented, experienced engineer who wants to join our team building our language-learning product and infrastructure. You’ll be part of a small development team and will have the opportunity to own major components of our systems. You’re an active learner whose passions may include learning languages. (If you know a language other than English please tell us!)
- You have at least 4 years of professional DevOps experience
- You have expertise with Rails, PostgreSQL, the AWS ecosystem
- You’ve implemented and managed complex micro-service architectures
- Experience with video based infrastructures / WebRTC is a major plus
Benefits at Chatterbug:
- A key role owning central components of a rapidly evolving product
- We’ll pay for you to learn a language – either with us or take a class, on us. You can also elect a friend or family member to learn with us for free, too
- 26 days paid holiday
- Regular fun events, team dinners and an annual company summit abroad
- A lovely, apartment style office in the heart of Berlin (with free fruit!)