Senior Frontend Developer
At A Color Bright, we build digital products. That includes everything from long-term partnerships as an independent in-house team, to fun and playful one-off projects, to our own presentation software venture Deckset. Whatever we do, we are interested in moving organizations forward and creating things with a point of view on the world they exist in. As a team, we care about maintaining a spirit of respectful, open communication that enables collaboration and continuous learning.
Our products are usually web apps, built primarily as single page apps with React, usually with Next and TypeScript. Sometimes we build traditional web apps with Django. However, we are determined to use the best tool for the job, so our stack can vary as far as using React Native for mobile apps. We are always looking for better ways to do things and will test new technologies as the opportunity arises, though never switching just for the sake of it. Throughout, we maintain a strong focus on accessibility and performance.
Our process is agile without clinging to a specific methodology, but usually includes daily stand-ups for us to align with each other and retrospectives to learn from our collective experiences.
What you’ll do here
You will be the fourth member of a small team of senior developers. You will mostly build web applications as part of an integrated project team, collaborating closely with designers and your fellow developers. You will champion processes and help to set standards, and go out of your way to reduce complexity.
You will additionally take responsibility for liaising with clients and other stakeholders on technical matters, with an understanding of the broader context of your work and its implications for the business side.
On a team level, you will regularly exchange feedback with a view to constant improvement: concrete examples of this include participating in retrospectives, conducting pull request reviews, and taking part in regular 1:1s. Over time, as we bring on developers with less experience, you will also support them and help to develop their skills.
You are a forward-thinking, diligent professional who is keen to learn from their peers and who can teach us something as well. You believe in lifelong learning and you have an interest in technology and the culture around our projects.
As a senior developer, you are capable of owning the development and rollout of a whole project. You possess technical chops, but understand that these alone are not enough — you have also developed excellent communication skills and an awareness of the broader context of your work.
- You demonstrate empathy and respect for others.
- You are an engaged, creative and supportive team member.
- You are able to deliver constructive, actionable feedback.
- You have the ability to pick up new skills quickly and an ongoing commitment to improvement.
- You are an effective communicator in English.
- You are a seasoned web developer.
- You understand the importance of semantic HTML.
- You value and respect CSS.
- You have production experience with at least one web framework like React, Ember, Vue or Angular and/or one modern server-side framework like Django, Rails, or Express.
- You know that accessibility is fundamental, not an optional extra.
- You take code quality and performance seriously.
- You can work independently and solve problems in a directed way.
- You deliver well-researched and sound solutions, while making well-reasoned decisions and trade-offs.
- You seek simple solutions to complex problems.
- Familiarity with TypeScript.
- Experience developing mobile apps, whether native iOS or Android or with a framework like React Native or Flutter.
- Knowledge of other programming languages such as Python, Ruby or Go.
- Backend experience.
- Any other competencies you may have gained from working in other fields besides development — we value breadth of experience and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills.
What we offer
- Salary of €55-65,000/year and 28 days of paid time off, with semi-flexible working hours.
- Career development opportunities. Regularly exchange feedback, participate in strategic company off-sites, and access a professional development budget to spend on conferences, seminars, and books.
- Weekly “Stammtisch” meeting to catch up as a dev team on cross-project topics.
- Monthly Tech Talks where we take turns to share what we’ve learned about a technical topic of interest.
- Experienced, international, engaged team. We are from Croatia, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, and Poland, with decades of experience in design and development between us. Currently we have team members working from Germany, Poland, and Northern Ireland.
- Full-time, either remote (worldwide) or in Berlin.
- Working language English.
- Starting ASAP and interested in a longer-term commitment.
- We’ll first ask you to do a take-home coding task at your own pace. In the interests of aligning it as closely as possible to our actual day-to-day work, we’ll provide you with access to a private repository on GitHub where you’ll find a semi-realistic app built with Next, with two small issues that we’ll ask you to submit pull requests for. You’ll have about a week to complete it, but we ask you not to spend more than a couple of hours on it.
If you don’t have prior experience with React and/or Next we will obviously take that into account when reviewing your submission. We believe it is still valuable to see how you approach learning something new. In this case, we’ll keep an open dialogue with you in regards to how much time you put into it.
- After we’ve received your submission and taken some time to check it over, we will let you know if we can proceed to a technical call. Then we’ll schedule a time for you and two members of the dev team to conduct a PR review together. Here you can walk us through your code and explain your approach to solving each problem.
- All going well, we’ll schedule another interview for you and two members of the dev team to have a broader discussion regarding your previous experience. Here we can try to understand how well we might work together, and answer any questions you might have about working at A Color Bright.
- Afterwards, if there is a mutual desire to proceed, you’ll have one final call with our CEO to discuss terms of employment.
How to apply
If you have solid experience building things for the web and like what you’ve read so far, we would love to hear from you — even if you’re not sure whether you meet all the requirements. We especially encourage you to apply if you are a member of one or more marginalized groups, for example if you are a person of color, neurodiverse, a wom*n, non-binary or otherwise gender non-conforming, and/or a member of the LGBTQ+ community.
Please send us your CV, a bit about you and what you have done in your career so far, and optionally anything else that tells us more about you and your skills, such as a link to a code repository or your personal website.
In addition, we’re curious about your answers to the following three questions:
- Which niche or aspect of web development are you particularly interested in right now?
- What are you looking for in the next stage of your career?
- What are you hoping to get out of a position at A Color Bright in particular?
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!