Senior Java/Kotlin Backend Engineer // Climate Labs
What if we could actually do something about climate change? Immediately. Effectively. Collectively. That’s our vision: Make powerful, measurable climate action available to everyone – and then scale it up!
We are a team of serial entrepreneurs, with a track record of building category-defining products, backed by Berlin’s top early-stage funders. In 2020 we will launch our solution of empowering millions to act as one united force for the planet.
We are right now searching for an experienced and product-oriented software engineer to boost the backend development of our mobile and web product suite. With multiple best-in-class apps on the team record, we’re looking for top talent to match this high standard on the backend side and push things even further together.
What we offer
- Ownership of a product with real social impact and global reach.
- High degree of autonomy.
- Quality-driven environment.
- Top-of-the-line work station… you tell us what you need!
- Competitive salary and equity package.
- Free gym membership, metro ticket, and compensation of your personal CO2 footprint.
- Flexible hours and a remote-friendly environment.
- Become part of a creative, friendly and purpose-driven team.
- These are the early days — your input will make a real difference!
Once here, you will
- build our Java/Kotlin microservices-based backend.
- work directly with the CTO, bringing your expert knowledge and well-founded opinions to the table in all backend-related design decisions.
- design and help define the standards for our backend tech stack.
- cooperate closely with our mobile and web teams to assure cross-platform excellence.
What we’re looking for
- You are an experienced backend engineer with a demonstrable track record of building reliable and scalable backend systems in the JVM ecosystem.
- You have excellent knowledge of Kotlin or Java and a good understanding of design patterns and software architectures.
- You have significant experience in building distributed systems, implementing and monitoring microservice infrastructures and designing restful APIs.
- You have very good knowledge of relational databases and ORM frameworks.
- You know your way around with Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD and have experience in AWS (ECS, S3, RDS, and Lambda are some of the technologies we use) and Firebase (Authentication).
- You feel at home in frontend development as well? This is a clear plus.
- You are passionate about creating the backbone for a great mobile app experience and understand the role of tech in a holistic framework.
- You are calm and focused under pressure and re-orient quickly in changing environments. When you don’t fully understand something, you take it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You believe in clear and honest communication as the basis for effective and joyful teamwork.
- You consider work-life balance essential to long-term happiness and productivity.
What our tech stack looks like
- Our backend utilizes Java 11, Kotlin, Spring ecosystem.
- Our mobile efforts are powered by native Kotlin / Swift apps.
- Our web stack utilizes Vue.js and Angular.Furthermore, we work with Git, Fastlane, TravisCI, Kanban, AWS, Docker, and everything that helps us get the job done.
If you’re looking for an incredible opportunity, a great place to work, and a chance to make a difference, we’re excited to consider your application!
We value diversity of perspective and seek to build an inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all different backgrounds.