Senior ML Engineer
Tandem is the leading global language learning community, where 10 million members in over 180 countries practice languages together. The concept of learning from each other is not only an integral part of the Tandem community but it is also at the heart of our everyday lives at Tandem. This shared connection through learning helps us to grow and enhances the language journeys of our members.
We are based in Berlin and are backed by top European investors. We are highly international and driven by a shared passion for languages, technology, and culture. Together, we are on a mission to build a product that not only teaches a new skill but also encourages meaningful cross-cultural conversations.
Your role will be to:
- Improve our recommender system to help members find the best exchange partner among our millions of members
- Further develop existing systems that help us keep the Tandem community safe and free of abuse
- Solve challenging problems across Tandem’s Product, Community and Growth teams – working closely with teammates to invent, build and maintain innovative data-driven solutions
- As part of our data and engineering team, work closely with fellow engineers to further develop our codebase and infrastructure
- Proactively research usage patterns and identify new opportunities where data can enhance the learning success of our members
- Clearly communicate findings and solutions through visualization, written communication, presentations and internal tools
You are the right fit for the role if you:
- Have at least 3 years of recent experience working on machine learning systems in production
- Have designed and deployed machine learning systems, in particular recommender systems
- Gained practical experience with AWS SageMaker or similar ML platforms
- Knowledge of ML/DL frameworks as Pytorch/fastai/Tensorflow, DGL is a big plus
- An ML certification from AWS, GCP or a comparable platform is a big plus
- Experience with MLOps tools like DVC, CML, W&B, BentoML, Kubeflow is a big plus
- Bring a strong background in math and quantitative methods in general to the team
- Are an excellent communicator with strong oral and written communication skills in English, and comfortable to communicate data logic to non-experts
- Are passionate about languages and their role in building bridges between cultures
- Our technology stack includes:
- Snowflake, fastapi, redis, GCP, AWS Lambda, AWS DMS, dbt, Metabase, Jupyter Notebooks
- Containers, Terraform
- Python, PHP 7.4, Golang, Kotlin
- We use many cloud services mainly from AWS but also some from GCP
Passion for languages
We’re a team of 34 people speaking 20 languages fluently between us. For those wanting to improve their German (or Denglisch!), you can join one of our German classes on us.
Take a deep dive
As a Tandem team member, we’ll give you a budget for up to 6 “Deep Dive Days” per year. Pick a topic you’ve always wanted to explore for your professional development that has never made it out of your backlog. Then book a cabin in the woods or whatever matches your individual learning style.
Teams who train together, stay together
We offer Urban Sports Club gym memberships to boost our team’s physical and mental health. If you prefer, we can contribute to your monthly public transport ticket instead.
It takes a team to Tandem
Bonding with our teammates outside of our normal work routine is important to us. We organize regular team events: from day trips to regular lunches, to Friday beers, summer BBQs, and board games.
Life isn’t just about work. We know when to snooze Slack notifications, recharge our batteries, and take time out for our personal hobbies. As we’re mostly working from home right now, it’s even more important to be able to switch off from work and relax.
As part of our family-friendly company philosophy, we embrace flexible working hours, welcome families to our events, and love for our kids to visit the office and get a taste of life at Tandem.
Relocation without the stress
If you’re looking to relocate to Berlin, we’re ready to assist you with the infamous German bureaucracy. Many of us have been through it before, so we have plenty of tips to share. You’ll feel settled in no time.
One size doesn’t fit all
Nowadays, we’re all about a flexible and modern approach to working. Whether you’d like to work from our office in the heart of Berlin-Mitte, from the comfort of your home, or even a mixture of both, we’ll contribute to your work setup.